And they went into Capernaum; and straightway on the sabbath day he entered into the synagogue, and taught.…
I. He entered into the synagogue ON THE SABBATH DAY.
1. The synagogue — origin unknown. There were two divisions, ten officers, etc. The service — prayer, etc.
2. The Sabbath day. Christ honoured ordinances. Sanctioned social worship. He is still in the midst of His people. Where will you find Him on the Sabbath?
II. In the synagogue CHRIST TAUGHT. Not the first time. His sermon not recorded. The Spirit has amply provided for our instruction. Christ still preaches.
III. THE EFFECT.
1. They were astonished.
2. They were not converted.
3. Many wonder, who do not believe.
IV. THE CHARACTERISTIC OF CHRIST'S TEACHING was authority.
1. The scribes employed tradition.
2. Christ spoke assured and naked truth — delivered a message from God — awakened the testimony of conscience.
Parallel VersesKJV: And they went into Capernaum; and straightway on the sabbath day he entered into the synagogue, and taught.