And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting.…
I. TONGUES. Because —
1. They were to declare by the tongue the message of God to every creature.
2. They who had been unlearned and ignorant men, unapt to teach, and powerless to convince, were from henceforth to teach and convince.
3. The Church was not to be confined to men of their own language, but was to embrace men of every language under heaven.
II. AS OF FIRE. Because fire was an emblem of —
4. The power with which the Word world burn its way into the human heart (Luke 24:32).
5. The fiery trials which awaited them.
III. WERE DISTRIBUTED TO EACH that each might know that he had his distinct gift, and that none might exalt himself above his brother.
IV. SAT UPON THEM, teaching them to do their work constantly and untiringly.
(W. Denton, M. A.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting.