Lay not up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust does corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal:…
I. THE TREASURES REFERRED TO.
1. The treasures of earth are evanescent.
2. The lawful possession of earthly treasures is no sin.
3. The text does not object to your getting rich in a righteous way.
II. LAY UP TREASURES IN HEAVEN.
1. Because its bank is strong in its independence. Banks and firms are much like ninepins with which children play; when one pin falls the others fall also. But as for the bank of heaven, it is strictly independent; it is the only bank of its kind in the universe.
2. Because the omniscience of the Banker is the very best security. Could men foresee financial disaster they would avoid it.
3. Because this bank can never be broken into.
4. It is the only bank that can help you at death. You cannot very well trade in France with English money. You must change it into French money. But no earthly bank can change its coin so as to ferry you across Jordan.
5. Bank not with evil any longer.
(J. O. Davis.)
Parallel VersesKJV: Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal: