1 Samuel 17:47
And all this assembly shall know that the LORD saves not with sword and spear: for the battle is the LORD's…
Many of the battles which are waged on earth are not the Lord's. They are unnecessary and unrighteous. The end they seek and the means they adopt to attain it are evil. Other conflicts are only the Lord's in an inferior sense. Although not unnecessary, nor in themselves unrighteous, they are waged with secular aims and carnal weapons. But there is one which is the Lord's in the highest sense. It is a holy war; a conflict of the kingdom of light with the kingdom of darkness. Observe that -
1. The obligation is imposed by the Lord. "Fight the good fight of faith."
2. The adversaries are the adversaries of the Lord. "Principalities and powers," etc.
3. The soldiers are the people of the Lord. Those in whose hearts the principles of the kingdom of God are implanted - "righteousness, peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost."
4. The Commander is the Anointed of the Lord. "The Captain of our salvation." "The Leader and Commander of the people."
5. The weapons are provided by the Lord. "Put on the whole armour of God" - "the armour of light."
6. The success is due to the Lord. He gives the strength which is needed: "teacheth our hands to war, and our fingers to fight," and "he will give you into our hands."
7. The end is the glory of the Lord. When it is over God will be "all in all." "Who is on the Lord's side?" - D.
Parallel VersesKJV: And all this assembly shall know that the LORD saveth not with sword and spear: for the battle is the LORD'S, and he will give you into our hands.