2 Timothy 1:14
That good thing which was committed to you keep by the Holy Ghost which dwells in us.
I. THERE IS A SYSTEM OF TRUTH DEPOSITED IN THE HANDS OF THE CHURCH. "That good deposit keep through the Holy Ghost who dwelleth in us."
1. The truth is not discovered by the Church, but deposited in its keeping. This is the significance of the words of Jude, when he speaks of "the faith once delivered to the saints." That is
(1) "the faith" - a system of gospel doctrines recognized by the Church at large;
(2) "delivered," not discovered or elaborated out of the Christian consciousness;
(3) "once" delivered, in reference to the point of time when the revelation was made by inspired men;
(4) deposited in the hands of men - "to the saints" - as trustees, for its safe keeping. It is "a good deposit;" good in its Author, its matter, its results, its end.
II. IT IS THE DUTY OF MINISTERS AND MEMBERS OF THE CHURCH TO KEEP THIS DEPOSIT.
1. They ought to do it, because it is a commanded duty.
2. Because it is for the Church's edification, safety, and stability.
3. Because it is for the glory of God.
4. They cannot do it except in the power of "the Holy Ghost who dwelleth in us.
(1) Because he leads us into all truth;
(2) because he by the truth builds up the Church as a habitation of God;"
(3) because he gives the insight and the courage by which believers are enabled to reject the adulterations and mixtures of false systems. - T.C.
Parallel VersesKJV: That good thing which was committed unto thee keep by the Holy Ghost which dwelleth in us.