And they were astonished at his doctrine: for he taught them as one that had authority, and not as the scribes.
I. HIS DOCTRINE.
1. View His doctrine of God.
2. His doctrine of man.
(2) Man's corrupt and sinful state.
II. HIS MANNER was in perfect harmony with the matter of His instruction.
1. The leading characteristic of our Saviour's manner as a public teacher was earnestness.
2. The earnestness of Christ was evinced in the simplicity of His teachings.
3. The earnestness of Jesus was further evinced by the consistency of His life with His doctrine.
4. The earnestness of Jesus was still further manifested in the decision and boldness of His manner.
5. His tenderness.
(J. A. Copp.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And they were astonished at his doctrine: for he taught them as one that had authority, and not as the scribes.