Again, you have heard that it has been said by them of old time, You shall not forswear yourself…
I. EXPLAIN THE SIN IN QUESTION.
1. One branch of this sin is cursing and swearing.
2. Another branch is the familiar introduction of oaths into common conversation.
3. A mingling religious language in our common discourse without any corresponding feelings in our heart.
II. ITS AGGRAVATED GUILT.
1. It is a gratuitous sin.
2. It is a wilful sin.
3. It is a presumptuous sin.
III. THE AWFUL STATE OF THOSE WHO PRACTISE THIS SIN.
1. Awful because God has denounced His vengeance against them.
2. It is a state of fitness for destruction.
3. It is a sure sign of an unregenerate condition.
Parallel VersesKJV: Again, ye have heard that it hath been said by them of old time, Thou shalt not forswear thyself, but shalt perform unto the Lord thine oaths: