And the children of Israel did evil again in the sight of the LORD: and the LORD strengthened Eglon the king of Moab against Israel…
I. THE MINISTERS OF THE GOSPEL ARE GOD'S MESSENGERS.
II. THE MINISTERS OF THE GOSPEL MUST BE FAITHFUL IN DELIVERING THEIR MESSAGE.
III. IF MEN REFUSE TO ATTEND TO THE MESSAGE THUS DELIVERED TO THEM, IT IS AT THEIR OWN PERIL.
IV. A MORE DIRECT APPLICATION OF THE TEXT: "I have a message from God unto thee."
1. To the careless, thoughtless person.
2. To the ungodly and the profane.
3. To the humble and serious inquirer after Divine truth (Hebrews 10:38; Revelations 2:5).
4. To those who, having once known the way of righteousness, are turned from the holy commandment delivered unto them.
5. To him whose heart now labours under a sense of sin; who, being brought to see his guilt and danger, is full of fear, and trembles for the consequences. How shall he escape the sentence of His righteous law? What shall he do to be saved? "Believe in the Lord Jesus Christ," etc.
6. To the established Christian; the man who, having fled to Christ for refuge, from the guilt and power of sin, has found peace and joy in believing; and being now professedly devoted to the Lord's service, is living in hope of the glory that shall be revealed. "Be faithful unto death," etc. "Be not weary of well-doing." "Grow in grace," and "Let thy profiting appear unto all men."
(E. Cooper, M. A.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And the children of Israel did evil again in the sight of the LORD: and the LORD strengthened Eglon the king of Moab against Israel, because they had done evil in the sight of the LORD.
WEB: The children of Israel again did that which was evil in the sight of Yahweh: and Yahweh strengthened Eglon the king of Moab against Israel, because they had done that which was evil in the sight of Yahweh.