Will you not from this time cry to me, My father, you are the guide of my youth?
I. THE PARTICULARS OF THE PROPOSAL.
1. That you should make God your Father; to love honour, and obey.
2. To choose God for the Guide of your youth; to regard His authority, follow His will, and comply with His directions.
(1) By His Word.
(2) By His Spirit.
3. To do these things instantly, without delay.
II. MOTIVES FOR CO-RELIANCE.
1. The grace and condescension of the proposal.
2. The reasonableness of such a proceeding. Refuse the offer of His heavenly guidance, and you will be like a vessel in a boisterous sea without a pilot to direct your course.
3. The seasonableness of the proposal. "From this time." The time past cannot be recalled. You may deeply regret that you have hitherto neglected to make God your Father, and to choose Him for the Guide of your youth. But regret will not recover the time which is past. Opportunities lost are gone forever. Your business is to improve those which remain. The present time is still your own.
(E. Cooper, M. A.)
Parallel VersesKJV: Wilt thou not from this time cry unto me, My father, thou art the guide of my youth?