Children, obey your parents in the Lord: for this is right.…
I. THE PRECEPT.
1. Observe the persons to whom the commandment is addressed "children."
2. Observe what is commanded as the especial duty of children in reference to parents - "obey," and "honour."
3. The limitation of the precept - "in the Lord." The parent's stronghold is here, when he says, "I must have you obedient, because I am responsible to God for your being so." And the child's strong encouragement is in the same thought: "In obeying my parents, I am doing that which is pleasing to God, and I do it because the Lord so bids me."
II. THE SANCTION.
1. To obey parents is right.
(1) Their age, experience, knowledge, entitle them to the obedience of their children.
(2) Love should prompt children to render obedience to their parents.
2. There is a promise annexed to obedience. God undertakes that His blessing shall be given.
(James Cohen, M. A.)
Parallel VersesKJV: Children, obey your parents in the Lord: for this is right.