And said, Naked came I out of my mother's womb, and naked shall I return thither: the LORD gave, and the LORD has taken away…
1. That every man is born a poor, helpless, naked creature.
2. When death cometh, it shakes us out of all our worldly comforts and possessions.
3. The life of man is nothing else but a coming and a returning.
(1) That a godly man in his straits studieth arguments to acquit and justify God in all His dealings with him.
(2) That the consideration of what we once were, and of what at last we must be, may relieve our spirits in the greatest outward afflictions of this life.
Parallel VersesKJV: And said, Naked came I out of my mother's womb, and naked shall I return thither: the LORD gave, and the LORD hath taken away; blessed be the name of the LORD.