1 Peter 2:7-8
To you therefore which believe he is precious: but to them which be disobedient, the stone which the builders disallowed…
There are very few people who would not agree with the apostle when he says that Christ is precious to believers. But when one comes a little closer, and asks professing people why He is precious to them, and in what degree, the answers to this question are vague. It is not of Christ Himself that most professors will speak. Some will say they need His righteousness, others that they hope in His death; but ah! the genuine child of God alone can say, from the very bottom of his heart, "To me Christ is precious." Christ's righteousness cannot be separated from Himself, and nothing but faith in a living, reigning Jesus will save the soul. But now, to apply the subject more directly, we shall briefly notice a few characteristics in believers themselves which seem to show that to them Christ is precious.
1. Innumerable marks might be given, but here is a distinguishing one — Christ is the object nearest to a believer's heart. He dwells in the soul, nearer than any creature more closely entwined round the heart strings than aught beside.
2. The second mark of the believer's value for the Lord Jesus is, that he puts no society in comparison with His presence; no other company has such power to refresh and comfort and purify the soul.
3. The third proof of the estimation in which Christ is held by His people is that, for His sake, and for the love they bear Him, they give up all known sins.
4. The fourth proof that we shall now mention is that where Jesus is precious His ordinances are highly prized — we shall value His Word, alone and in the family, as well as in the house of God. And so also with His house, His table, His Sabbath.
5. Again, God's people are precious to the believer.
6. Another mark that Christ is precious to believers is that they are longing for His second coming. The way to heaven is to be in Christ; and heaven is to be with Christ.
(W. C. Burns.)
Parallel VersesKJV: Unto you therefore which believe he is precious: but unto them which be disobedient, the stone which the builders disallowed, the same is made the head of the corner,