And truly, if they had been mindful of that country from where they came out, they might have had opportunity to have returned.…
I. THE REVELATION CONCERNING HEAVEN.
1. A heavenly place. Habitation of God.
2. A state.
II. IN WHAT RESPECTS IS IT A BETTER COUNTRY THAN THIS?
1. It is a sinless country.
2. It is a healthful country.
3. It is a country inhabited by perfect beings.
4. It is a country of better enjoyments.
III. THE DESIRE WHICH ALL TRUE BELIEVERS HAVE FOR ITS POSSESSION. Others may wish, but the true Christian really desires it. This desire —
1. Is formed in regeneration, Born for and from above. New nature tends upwards.
2. Is cultivated by sanctifying grace. Growing in grace is growing in meetness, &c.
3. Is heightened by spiritual visits to it. He ascends in prayer, in faith, in hope.
4. Is exhibited in holy diligence to obtain it. He labours to enter; he gives all diligence.
1. This better country is offered to all who will set out on the heavenly pilgrimage.
2. How truly blest are all the children of the heavenly Zion.
3. There is a worse country, the world of woe, of darkness, of despair, of endless death. Flee from it now.
(J. Burns, D. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And truly, if they had been mindful of that country from whence they came out, they might have had opportunity to have returned.