1 Thessalonians 2:13
For this cause also thank we God without ceasing, because, when you received the word of God which you heard of us…
I. THE DESCRIPTION OF THE GOSPEL — the Word of God.
1. It was given by God to the World.
2. It reveals to us His will in the salvation of ruined man.
3. He has commissioned His ministers to publish it.
II. THE ACT OF RECEIVING IT.
1. Hearing it as the Word of God, and not merely as the word of man.
2. Listening to it with attention.
3. Accepting it with the fullest credence.
4. Taking it wholly in all its parts.
III. THE EFFECT IT PRODUCES.
1. It works a complete conformity to the character of Christ.
2. It supports the mind under all the difficulties and trials of life.
IV. THE GRATITUDE EXPRESSED FOR IT.
1. Because it is all the gratuitous work of God's Spirit.
2. Because the safety and happiness it confers and ensures.Reflections:
1. Have we received the gospel?
2. Are we bringing forth its fruits?
Parallel VersesKJV: For this cause also thank we God without ceasing, because, when ye received the word of God which ye heard of us, ye received it not as the word of men, but as it is in truth, the word of God, which effectually worketh also in you that believe.
WEB: For this cause we also thank God without ceasing, that, when you received from us the word of the message of God, you accepted it not as the word of men, but, as it is in truth, the word of God, which also works in you who believe.