By faith Abel offered to God a more excellent sacrifice than Cain, by which he obtained witness that he was righteous…
I. THE NATURE OF ABEL'S OFFERING.
II. THE PRINCIPLE BY WHICH HE WAS ACTUATED IN PRESENTING IT.
III. THE TOKEN OF THE ACCEPTANCE OF ABEL'S SACRIFICE. Learn:
1. The value of religious observances.
2. In order to be accepted, our observances must proceed from right views.
3. It is not on the footing of innocence we are accepted, but of expiation.
4. Your services are not less acceptable because there may be others who engage in the same acts of worship whose character is such as God cannot approve.
5. However holy your character may be, it is hereafter, not here, that you are to look for your reward.
(R. Brodie, M. A.)
Parallel VersesKJV: By faith Abel offered unto God a more excellent sacrifice than Cain, by which he obtained witness that he was righteous, God testifying of his gifts: and by it he being dead yet speaketh.
WEB: By faith, Abel offered to God a more excellent sacrifice than Cain, through which he had testimony given to him that he was righteous, God testifying with respect to his gifts; and through it he, being dead, still speaks.