He that receives a prophet in the name of a prophet shall receive a prophet's reward…
I. WHAT, IS THE BIBLE MEANING OF THE TERM, IS A PROPHET?
1. There is first what may properly be called the "seer," men with burning eye to take in visions of the unseen.
2. Then the word prophet merges into our word preacher.
3. But there are two conditions without which no man has a right to this name; a godly life, a special message from God.
II. THE TRUE SPIRIT IN WHICH A PROPHET SHOULD BE RECEIVED.
1. The true exercise of our receptive faculties is an important element of our responsibility.
2. Let us receive without prejudice.
3. Let us receive with humility.
4. That such a reception will bring us a " prophet's reward."
(J. Brierley, B. A.)
Parallel VersesKJV: He that receiveth a prophet in the name of a prophet shall receive a prophet's reward; and he that receiveth a righteous man in the name of a righteous man shall receive a righteous man's reward.