1 Peter 3:18-20
For Christ also has once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh…
I. THEIR REALITY. Christ suffered from —
2. Satanic hostility.
II. THEIR ATONING NATURE.
1. The character of Christ.
2. The doctrine of substitution.
3. The solitariness of the sacrifice,
(1) Nothing more is needed.
(2) Nothing more will be given.
III. THEIR DESIGN. "That He might bring us to God" —
1. In penitential sorrow.
2. To obtain mercy and peace.
3. With entire self-surrender.
4. Unto God's immediate presence.Lessons:
1. There is hope and help for all.
2. Christ is the way of access to God.
Parallel VersesKJV: For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit: