And when they had kindled a fire in the middle of the hall, and were set down together, Peter sat down among them.…
I. A grievous sin.
1. Its elements.
2. Its aggravations.
(1) His close connection with Christ.
(2) His recent special privileges.
(3) The repeated warnings given him.
(4) His strong professions of devotion
(5) The urgent demands of the time and place.
3. Its instigations.
(1) The failure was surprisingly sudden;
(2) of brief duration;
(3) never repeated.
4. Its chief causes.
(2) Blindness to near danger.
(3) Neglect of precautions.
(4) The fear of derision.
II. A GRACIOUS RESTORATION.
1. How was it brought about?
(1) By a predicted coincidence (ver. 60).
(2) By the Saviour's penetrating glance (ver. 61).
(3) By the action of memory.
2. What proof have we of its genuineness?
(1) His contrite sorrow.
(2) His amended life.Learn:
1. The weakness of the strongest.
2. The sufficiency of Christ's grace.
Parallel VersesKJV: And when they had kindled a fire in the midst of the hall, and were set down together, Peter sat down among them.