For to us a child is born, to us a son is given: and the government shall be on his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful…
I. HE POSSESSES PEACE. He possesses it as none other does, in greater measure, the abundance of it. It is all at His command. He is the Prince or Monarch of it.
1. He is in a world where the noise of our strife and tumult never reaches. Discord is never known there, change is never experienced.
2. And then we must try to get into His mysterious soul, and see the eternal calm which reigns there day after day, year after year, age after age, unbroken. All is as quiet within as around Him. And it is not the quiet of inaction or indifference, of a clod of earth or a stone; His mind is ever working and ever feeling, and with an energy which to us is inconceivable; but yet His mind is never ruffled.
II. HE EXERCISES PEACE.
1. Look at Him as He trod our earth. The meek and quiet lamb was an image of Him.
2. He bears long with His enemies.
3. He bears much, too, with His friends.
4. There must, then, be a mighty inclination to peace where things are thus.
III. HE BESTOWS OR DISPENSES PEACE. God is often called in Scripture the God of that which He communicates. In this way may our Lord be called the Prince of Peace.
1. Our peace with God flows from Him.
2. And peace, too, among men.
3. Peace of conscience and peace of mind are His gifts.
IV. HE DELIGHTS IN PEACE.
(C. Bradley, M. A.)
Parallel VersesKJV: For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counseller, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.