For to us a child is born, to us a son is given: and the government shall be on his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful…
I. CHRIST IS THE TRUE GOD.
1. The Scripture expressly calls Him so (John 1:1; Acts 20:28; Romans 9:5; 1 John 5:20).
2. The attributes of God, distinguishing Him from all created beings, are ascribed to Him.
3. The works peculiar to God alone are done by Him and ascribed to Him.
4. Divine worship, which must be given to God alone, is due to Him.
5. He is equal with the Father.
II. THE MAN CHRIST IS THE MIGHTY ONE.
1. He does and has done works that no other could do.
2. He has all at His command in heaven and earth, whether created persons or things.
3. Being God as wall as man His power is infinite.
1. This serves to refute the heresy of those who impugn the supreme Godhead of our Lord Jesus Christ.
2. It speaks terror to all the enemies of Christ.
3. It speaks comfort to the Church and every believer in their low estate.
4. It serves to exhort all to take Him for their Prince.
Parallel VersesKJV: For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counseller, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.