And truly, if they had been mindful of that country from where they came out, they might have had opportunity to have returned.…
I. GOD HAS PREPARED FOR HIS PEOPLE A FUTURE AND HEAVENLY HABITATION.
1. Divine revelation brings immortality to light.
2. That the God of our salvation has prepared a city of habitation for the saints beyond the grave, appears evidently from the design of our Saviour's sufferings, and the infinite merit of His atoning sacrifice. His blood was the price paid for their heavenly inheritance, and by dying He obtained their eternal redemption.
3. As our Lord Jesus Christ, by the shedding of His own blood, has purchased the heavenly inheritance for His people, so His resurrection from the dead is a sure pledge of their eternal triumphs over death and the grave.
4. That there remains a city of habitation prepared for the righteous in Christ, may be proved from many plain promises of Scripture, given by Him who cannot lie, and yielding strong consolation to those who have fled to the Saviour.
II. CONTEMPLATE THAT FUTURE ABODE OF THE SAINTS AS A BETTER AND AN HEAVENLY CITY.
1. This comparison of heaven to a city prepared for the righteous, includes rest from all the fatigues of their journey.
2. A city also implies society and fellowship, and leads forward our contemplations to the happy intercourse of the glorified above.
3. This comparison of heaven to a city implies safety and privilege.
4. Finally, heaven is styled a city, to distinguish it from the tents in which travellers lodge for a night, and to denote the perpetuity of future happiness.
III. How important it is for all those who expect heaven, TO LIVE EVERY DAY UNDER THE LIVELY IMPRESSIONS AND PROSPECTS OF THE FUTURE AND BETTER WORLD.
1. The first advantage is increasing sanctification. They are excited to holiness by the powerful consideration, that without it no man can see the Lord.
2. The expectation of heaven promotes the Christian's patience and tranquillity of spirit.
3. The believing expectation of heaven promotes the Christian's triumph and joy, amidst the depressing events of life.
Parallel VersesKJV: And truly, if they had been mindful of that country from whence they came out, they might have had opportunity to have returned.