1 John 1:5-10
This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare to you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all.…
All rightly ordained ministers of Christ are God's messengers. Our office is not merely of man's appointment; we hold it from the Lord. We are sent to remind you of God's will, to be His witnesses unto you (Hebrews 2:1-4). Consider, then, the message which we bring unto you, whence it comes, and upon what authority. "I have a message from God unto thee." That message began to be preached by the Lord Himself, by Him who said, "He that hath seen Me hath seen the Father." The apostles, who were eyewitnesses of His majesty and glory, have handed down His words to us in the New Testament. To show that they were sent by God they wrought miracles (Mark 16:16). We are invested with God's authority to warn, to teach, to rebuke, to comfort (2 Corinthians 5:20). And as our message is from God, so we must be faithful in delivering it. Christ's ministers are put in trust with the gospel, and they must fulfil that trust (Ezekiel 3:11). They who refuse to hear the messenger refuse to hear Him who sent him (Matthew 10:40). It remains for me to say what my message is to each of you.
1. And, first, I speak to those who are careless, thoughtless, and unconcerned about religion. You have not known God as a Father, Christ as a Saviour, the Holy Spirit as a Sanctifier. I have a message from God to you. He says, "Awake, thou that sleepest, and arise from the dead." "Consider your ways." "Boast not thyself of tomorrow: for thou knowest not what a day may bring forth." Remember that word, "Draw nigh to God, and He will draw nigh to you."
2. Next, I speak to those who are living in known sin. I have a message from God unto you. Break off your sin by repentance, turn to God through Christ earnestly, seriously, and at once; for remember that the unbelieving must have their portion in the lake that burneth with fire and brimstone. We beseech you, in Christ's stead, be ye reconciled to God.
3. But is there one here who is humbly desiring to learn the way of salvation, who is sorry and ashamed to have lived so long without God, and to have so grievously provoked Him by sin and folly? I have a message from God unto thee, and it is one full of love and full of comfort Be of good cheer"; "They that seek shall find."
4. But there may also be some who, having once known the way of righteousness, have since fallen away and gone backwards. I have a message from God to you also. "If any man draw back," He says, "My soul shall have no pleasure in him. "Remember from whence thou art fallen and repent, and do thy first works." "Return unto Me, and I will return unto you."
5. Or is there one amongst us whose heart is troubled with a sense of sin and guilt? who is asking in sorrow, What must I do to be saved? There is a message from God to you. "Believe in the Lord Jesus Christ." He came into the world to save sinners.
6. There are yet some to whom I may especially say I have a message from God unto you — you who have fled to Christ, who are living a Christian life in communion with God and hope of heaven. You are still surrounded with temptations from within and from without. Therefore be sober, be vigilant. Walk humbly with God, pray without ceasing. Abound in all good works. God expects you to attend to what He says, to give earnest heed to the things which you have heard, lest at any time you should let them slip.
(E. Blencowe, M. A.)
Parallel VersesKJV: This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all.