And are built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone;…
I. THE MATERIALS.
1. Their nature.
2. Their diversity.
3. Their number.
4. Their circumstances.
5. Their value.
II. THE BASIS AND PLAN.
1. The foundation is Christ.
2. The chief cornerstone is Christ.
3. The whole building is constructed by Christ.
4. The excellencies of Christ will be the beauty of the building.
III. THE INSTRUMENTS AND AGENCY by which this building is constructed and carried on. The Holy Spirit.
1. The vastness of the work requires a universal presence.
2. The difficulty of the work demands infinite resources.
3. The time needed to carry on the work requires a perpetual agency.
IV. THE DESIGN to be accomplished in this work. "For an habitation of God."
Parallel VersesKJV: And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone;