1 Peter 2:17
Honor all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honor the king.
I. PERSONAL COURTESY. It is our duty to make manners a part of religion.
2. Consideration. Put yourself in others' ways and plans and difficulties.
II. AFFECTIONATE BROTHERHOOD. It is only reasonable we should "love the brotherhood," for we are —
1. Sharers of the same discipline.
2. Heirs of the same blessings.
3. Travellers along the same road.
III. DUTIFUL WORSHIPPERS. "Fear God."
IV. SANCTIFIED LOYALTY. "Honour the King."
1. Independently of the ruler's character.
2. Independently of personal distinction.
(1) Loyalty is the essential of national well-being.
(2) Loyalty is the secret of national happiness.
(3) Loyalty is the principle of national prosperity.
(J. J. S. Bird, B. A.)
Parallel VersesKJV: Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the king.