Whereby, when you read, you may understand my knowledge in the mystery of Christ)…
1. The condition to which it is God's intention that the Gentiles should be brought.
(1) They should be joint heirs with Christ.
(2) They should be of the same body with Christ and His Church; for first we must become beloved children in Christ the Beloved, before we can be inheritors.
(3) They should be partakers of the promise; for by faith in the word of promise, we come to have fellowship with Christ.
2. The means. "By the gospel." It is the gospel which brings us to faith, and to our heavenly inheritance.
(1) We are not to be discouraged from following the Word;
(a) either by the unworthiness of the preachers;
(b) or by the consciousness of our own unworthiness;
(c) or by our not profiting to our mind.
(2) Ministers must not give over preaching;
(a) either upon conceit of their ignorance;
(b) or of the small good they see come of it;
(c) or for want of feeling in themselves the power of what they preach;
(d) or upon sense of temptations contrary to it.
Parallel VersesKJV: Whereby, when ye read, ye may understand my knowledge in the mystery of Christ)