In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace;
God has made Christ an Adam, head, root, receptacle and storehouse, in whom are treasured all those good things which from Him are communicated to us.
1. By nature we are no better than in a spiritual bondage.
(1) Under a stern taskmaster the law.
(2) Unable to do anything spiritually good.
(3) Forced to endure many things most grievous (Hebrews 2:15).
2. We have deliverance from our spiritual thraldom by Christ.
(1) Reason for thanksgiving. For such redemption we should sing with Mary our Magnificat.
(2) Reason for joy (Isaiah 44:23).
3. That by which we are ransomed and redeemed is the blood of Christ.
(1) From the guilt of sin.
(2) From the power of the devil.
(3) From the captivity of lusts, etc., through the Spirit dwelling in us.
(4) From evil of every kind.All tears, in God's time, shall be wiped from our eyes; and meanwhile all our sufferings are so changed, that we know them to be not the result of God's vengeance, but of His fatherly love and care, His design being that we may partake further, by means of them, in the quiet fruit of righteousness.
Parallel VersesKJV: In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace;