And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.
I. We must here take notice that we are obliged to go to our devotions WITH CHARITY AND GOOD-WILL TOWARDS OTHERS.
(1) To depose all enmity before we bring our oblation to the altar of God.
(2) Reserving no spite or grudge toward any man, but having a heart(3) clear of ill-will;
(4) being in affection of mind towards others, as we do wish, hope, and pray that God would be toward us.
II. It is implied on God's part, that He VOUCHSAFES PARDON ONLY UPON THESE TERMS; yea, more, that He doth truly promise pardon upon our performing this condition.
(1) It also implies a consent on our part, and(2) submission to this condition, as most equal and reasonable.
(3) If we break it, if we retain any uncharitable inclinations, we deal falsely with God; we forfeit all pretence to mercy and favour from Him; we are neither qualified for mercy, nor shall obtain it from God.
(Isaac Barrow, D. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.