And to the angel of the church in Philadelphia write; These things said he that is holy, he that is true, he that has the key of David…
I. THEY KEPT HIS WORD. God's word, and not the traditions or commandments of men, is the only strength of the Church, and the only source of all true religion. By us, too, this word must be kept.
1. Intellectually. It is not a cunningly-devised fable, but the living word of the everlasting God, who cannot lie.
2. Affectionately. In religion we want not only glass windows that let in the light, but human hearts that are filled with love.
3. Practically. It has been well said "that the life of a Christian is the best picture of the life of Christ."
II. THEY HAD NOT DENIED HIS NAME.
1. Infidelity denies Christ's name.
2. Worldly-mindedness is a denial of Christ's name.
3. Religious formality is a denial of Christ's name.
4. Neglect of religious ordinances is also a practical denial of Christ.
(W. G. Barrett.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And to the angel of the church in Philadelphia write; These things saith he that is holy, he that is true, he that hath the key of David, he that openeth, and no man shutteth; and shutteth, and no man openeth;
WEB: "To the angel of the assembly in Philadelphia write: "He who is holy, he who is true, he who has the key of David, he who opens and no one can shut, and who shuts and no one opens, says these things: