2 Timothy 2:14
Of these things put them in remembrance, charging them before the Lord that they strive not about words to no profit…
Christians are not to strive about words.
1. It wasteth time, consumeth good hours, which are to be redeemed.
2. Prevents better matter.
3. Kindles strife and contention.
4. And for idle words we are to give an account.Now, for the avoiding of these fruitless disputes, observe these following directions: —
1. Get a sound mind, a good judgment, to discern betwixt things that differ.
2. Root self-love and pride out of thy heart.
3. In matters of less moment reserve thy judgment; publish it not, lest thou trouble others.
4. Take heed of overmuch curiosity: pry not into God's ark; neither presume above that which is written.
5. Consider wherein thou and the party with whom thou hast to deal do agree, and let that consent make a stronger union than the dissent can a separation.
6. Abandon such companions as are always complaining of Church government.
(J. Barlow, D. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: Of these things put them in remembrance, charging them before the Lord that they strive not about words to no profit, but to the subverting of the hearers.