1 Peter 2:9-10
But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people…
I. OUR ORIGINAL CONDITION AS SINNERS. In darkness.
II. THE GRACIOUS CHANGE PRODUCED. "Called out of darkness into marvellous light."
III. THE RESULTS OF BEING THUS CALLED. "That ye show forth God's praises."
1. By extolling His mercy (Psalm 103:3-5, 11-13).
2. By exhibiting His image (Ephesians 5:8; 1 Thessalonians 5:5, 6).
3. By obedience to His authority (2 Corinthians 10:4-6).
4. And by zeal for His glory (2 Corinthians 10:17; Galatians 6:14).
IV. THE IMPROVEMENT.
1. Consider the state of the sinner before God, as in darkness of soul.
2. The only way of deliverance is by the death and obedience of Jesus Christ, as made known by the gospel.
3. Also let the Christian learn from this subject his great obligations to God, and consider what ought to be his conduct.
4. But especially let him see to whom the glory of so much mercy belongs.
(T. B. Baker.)
Parallel VersesKJV: But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light:
WEB: But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for God's own possession, that you may proclaim the excellence of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light: