And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind, and with all your strength…
Observe that love is not merely one way of fulfilling the Law. It is the best way. Far better to love man so much that to steal from him would be impossible, than merely to refrain from stealing in obedience to the Eighth Commandment. Nay, more, it is the only way. One who would steal, but for his sense of its being forbidden, and therefore wrong, already sins against his neighbour by breaking the Tenth Commandment.
1. Love brings all the powers of man's soul into interior harmony.
2. It begets obedience, both inward and outward.
3. It begets a strong desire after God.
4. It finds God in everything.
5. It is the mainspring of the soul, controlling hands, feet, eyes, lips, brain, life.
Parallel VersesKJV: And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment.