And Jacob was left alone; and there wrestled a man with him until the breaking of the day.
I. How GOD PREVAILED WITH JACOB In regard to this Divine conflict, think of —
1. Its condescension.
2. Its necessity.
3. Its success.
II. How JACOB PREVAILED WITH GOD.
1. Jacob prevailed when he had been made to feel his own weakness.
2. Jacob prevailed, not by the exercise of natural strength, but by the purely spiritual force of trustful and earnest prayer.
III. THE RESULTS THAT FOLLOWED FROM THIS MEMORABLE CONFLICT.
1. Jacob received a new name.
2. Jacob received new spiritual power.
3. Jacob received a blessing which fully compensated for unexplained mystery.
(G. J. Allen, B. A.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And Jacob was left alone; and there wrestled a man with him until the breaking of the day.