1. In what state was the Earth when first created?
2. To what trial was man subjected?
3. What punishment did the Fall bring on man?
4. How alone could his guilt be atoned for? A. By his punishment being borne by one who was innocent.
5. What was the first promise that there should be such an atonement? -- Gen. iii.15.
6. What were the sacrifices to foreshow?
7. Why was Abel's offering the more acceptable?
8. From which son of Adam was the Seed of the woman to spring?
9. How did Seth's children fall away?
10. What was Enoch's prophecy? -- Jude, 14, 15.
11. Who was chosen to be saved out of the descendants of Seth?
12. How was the world punished?
13. In what year was the Flood?
14. Where did the ark first rest?
15. What were the terms of the covenant with Noah?
16. Which of Noah's sons was chosen?
17. What was the prophecy of Noah? -- Gen. ix.25, 26, 27.
18. What lands were peopled by Ham's children?
19. What became of Shem's children?
20. What became of Japhet's children?
1. Whom did God separate among the sons of Shem?
2. What were the terms of the covenant with Abraham? A. Abraham believed, and God promised that his descendants should have the land of Canaan, and in his seed should all the nations of the earth be blessed.
3. What was the token of the covenant with Abraham?
4. Which son of Abraham inherited the promise?
5. Who were the sons of Ishmael?
6. What measure was taken to keep Isaac from becoming mixed with idolators?
7. Which of Isaac's sons was chosen?
8. Why was Esau rejected?
9. What was the promise to Esau? -- Gen. xxvii.39, 40.
10. By what names were the descendants of Esau called?
11. Where did the Edomites live?
12. What sea was named from them?
13. What were the habits of the Edomites?
14. Who is thought to have been the great prophet of Idumea?
15. What was the prophecy of Job? -- Job, xix.25, 26, 27.
16. How was Jacob's name changed?
17. Who were to be in the covenant after him?
18. What prophecy was there of the Israelites going into Egypt? -- Gen. xv.13.
19. Which son of Jacob was to be father of the promised Seed?
20. What was Jacob's prophecy of the Redeemer? -- Gen. xlix.10.
1. Who were the Egyptians?
2. What kind of place was Egypt?
3. What remains have we of the ancient Egyptians?
4. What were the idols of Egypt?
5. How long were the Israelites in Egypt?
6. How were they treated in Egypt? 7. What prophetic Psalm is said to have been composed in Egypt? -- Ps. I. xxxviii.
8. Who was appointed to lead them out?
9. How was Moses prepared for the work?
10. How did God reveal Himself to Moses?
11. What wonders were wrought on the Egyptians?
12. What token of faith was required of the Israelites at their departure?
13. What feast was appointed in remembrance of the deliverance from Egypt?
1. How many Israelites did Moses lead into the wilderness?
2. How were they supported there?
3. What was the difference between the covenant with Abraham, and the covenant on Mount Sinai?
4. How did the Israelites forfeit the covenant?
5. How was God entreated to grant it to them again?
6. What signs of the covenant did they carry with them?
7. How was Moses instructed in their observances?
8. What was the Tabernacle to figure?
9. What did all the ceremonies shadow out?
10. Why were the Israelites to be kept separate from other nations?
11. How were they trained in the wilderness?
12. How long did they wander there?
13. Why did not Moses enter the land of Canaan?
14. What were the two great prophecies of the Redeemer which were given in the wilderness? -- Num. xxiv.17. Deut. xviii.15.
15. What books were written by Moses?
16. What Psalm was written by Moses? -- Ps. xc.
1. In what year did the Israelites enter Canaan?
2. What kind of country was Canaan?
3. Where was the first seat of the Tabernacle in Canaan?
4. How was the inheritance of the tribes arranged?
5. Why did not the Israelites occupy the whole of their territory at once?
6. Who were the Phoenicians?
7. What were the chief cities of the Phoenicians?
8. Who were the chief gods of the Canaanites?
9. How were the Israelites governed?
10. What was the consequence of their falling from the true worship?
11. Who were their chief enemies?
12. In what book in the Bible is this history related?
13. For how long a period did the rule of the Judges last?
14. What crime brought on them the loss of the Ark?
15. How was the Ark sent back?
16. What was the prophecy of the Redeemer during this period? -- 1 Sam. ii.35.
17. Who was the first of the Prophets and last of the Judges?
1. When did the Israelite kingdom begin?
2. Who was the first king of Israel?
3. On what conditions was Saul to reign?
4. What was Saul's great error?
5. Who was chosen in Saul's stead?
6. Of what tribe was David?
7. What was David's great excellence?
8. What were David's exploits?
9. How was David prepared for the throne?
10. What terrible massacre did Saul commit in his hatred of David?
11. What prophecy was thus fulfilled? -- 1 Sam. ii.32, 33.
12. What was the beginning of David's kingdom?
13. What was the end of Saul?
14. Who reigned over the rest of Israel?
15. What became of Ishbosheth?
16. What were David's conquests?
17. What is the meaning of the name Jerusalem?
18. How did David regulate the service before the Ark?
19. Which are David's chief prophecies of our Lord? -- Ps. ii. -- xvi.
20. Which Psalm marks David as our Lord's forefather? -- lxxxix.
21. Why was not David permitted to build the Temple?
22. How long did David reign?
23. What was the site of the Temple?
24. How was the Divine Presence marked there?
25. For what was Solomon's reign remarkable?
26. How did Solomon fall away?
27. What was to be his punishment?
28. What are the prophecies of Solomon? A. Prov. viii. and ix. -- where our Lord is spoken of as the Divine Wisdom. -- Ps. xlv. The Song of Solomon on the mystical union of Christ and His Church. -- Eccles. iv.
1. How did Rehoboam bring about the accomplishment of the sentence on Solomon?
2. What tribes were left to him?
3. How was he prevented from making war on Jeroboam?
4. Who was the Egyptian king who invaded Judea?
5. Who succeeded Rehoboam?
6. Who succeeded Abijah?
7. What was Jehoshaphat's great error?
8. Into what danger did Ahab send him?
9. What great deliverances were vouchsafed to Jehoshaphat?
10. How did Jehoram act on coming to the throne?
11. How was he punished?
12. What became of Ahaziah?
13. Who was Athaliah?
14. Why could she not entirely destroy the seed royal?
[Footnote 1: These references are to the Prayer-Book version.] 15. What prophecy was fulfilled by these massacres? -- 2 Sam. xii.10.
16. How was Joash preserved?
17. How was he restored to the throne?
18. How did Joash reign?
19. What was the sin of Amaziah?
20. What was the sin of Uzziah?
21. How was the sin of Uzziah punished?
22. Who reigned in Uzziah's stead?
23. Who began to prophesy in Uzziah's time? A. Isaiah.
24. What was the character of Ahaz?
25. How was the sin of Ahaz punished?
26. What were Isaiah's chief prophecies of our Lord? A. Isaiah, vii.14. -- ix.6. -- xi. -- xii. -- xxxii. -- xxxv. -- xl. -- xlii. -- l.5, 6. -- li.13, 14, 15. -- liii. -- lxiii.
1. Where had the greatness of Joseph's children been foretold?
A. Gen. xlix.25, 26. Deut. xxxiii.13, 14, 15, 16, 17.
2. How did Jeroboam forfeit these blessings?
3. What warnings did he receive?
4. Who overthrew the house of Jeroboam?
5. What kings reigned next?
6. What city did Omri make his capital?
7. How had the site of Samaria been made remarkable? -- Deut, xxvii.
8. What was the difference between the sin of Jeroboam and the sin of Ahab?
9. How was Ahab influenced?
10. What prophet warned him?
11. What proofs were given that the Lord is the only God?
12. Who were the chief enemies of Israel?
13. What was the fate of Ahab?
14. Who became prophet after Elijah? 15. Who executed judgment on the house of Ahab?
16. How long was the house of Jehu to continue?
17. How did Joash disobey Elisha? -- 2 Kings, xiii.19.
18. What prophets succeeded Elisha? -- A. Hosea and Amos.
19. What was Hosea's prophecy of Redemption? -- Hosea, xiii.14.
20. What was Amos' prophecy of Redemption? -- Amos, ix.11-15.
21. What was the end of the house of Jeroboam?
22. Who were the two allies against Judah?
23. What generous action was done by the Ephraimites?
1. Who founded the Assyrian Empire?
2. What is the description of Nineveh?
3. What prophet was sent to warn the Ninevites?
4. How did the Ninevites receive the message?
5. What prophetic book besides Jonah is concerned with Nineveh?
6. Which King of Nineveh was contemporary with Ahaz?
7. Why did Ahaz seek the alliance of Tiglath Pileser?
8. What victories did the Ninevites gain?
9. What was the effect upon Judah?
10. What profanation did Ahaz commit in the Temple?
11. Who was the successor of Ahaz?
12. Who was the last King of Samaria?
13. What partial reformation took place in Israel?
14. What was the punishment of the Israelites?
15. Where were the Israelites placed?
16. What was the next conquest attempted by the Assyrians?
17. How was the danger turned away?
18. What apocryphal book mentions the history of an Israelite captive?
19. What great mercy was vouchsafed to Hezekiah?
20. How did he show that he was uplifted?
21. What was the rebuke for his display? 22. Who was the King of Nineveh after Sennacherib? A. Esarhaddon, also called Sardocheus, and Asnapper.
23. What apocryphal history is supposed to have taken place at this time?
24. How did Esarhaddon fill the empty land of Samaria?
25. What request was made by these heathen colonists?
26. Of what race were they the parents?
27. What additions were made to the Holy Scriptures in Hezekiah's time?
28. What is Micah's chief prophecy? -- Micah, v.2, 3, 4.
29. Who reigned after Hezekiah?
30. How were the crimes of Manasseh punished?
31. What was the end of Nineveh?
32. What is the present state of Nineveh?
1. What was the character of Amon?
2. What reformation did Josiah make?
3. What discovery was made in cleansing the Temple?
4. Why was the Law of Moses so awful to Josiah?
5. What answer did Huldah make to Josiah's inquiries?
6. What was the great merit of Josiah?
7. What prophecy did Josiah exactly fulfil? -- 1 Kings, xiii.2.31, 32,
8. Who were the prophets of Josiah's time? A. Jeremiah, Zephaniah, and a little later, Habbakuk.
9. What was Josiah's situation with regard to his neighbours?
10. Why was he forced to go out to battle?
11. How does Jeremiah speak of Josiah's death? -- -Jer. xxii.10.
12. How had Isaiah foretold it? -- Isaiah, lvii.1.
13. What two names had the successor of Josiah?
14. What fate did Jeremiah foretell for him? -- Jer. xxii.11, 12.
15. Whither was Jehoahaz carried captive?
16. Who was set up instead of Jehoahaz?
17. What did Jeremiah predict concerning Jehoiakim? Jer. xxii.18, 19.
18. By whose favour had Jehoiakim been set up?
19. Who was Jehoiakim's enemy?
20. What injury did Nebuchadnezzar inflict in 606?
21. What prophet was then carried captive?
22. What was the promise of Jeremiah? -- Jer. xxv.12.
23. Why was Jeremiah persecuted?
24. What was the great wilfulness of these kings?
25. What was the end of Jehoiakim?
26. By what names was his son called?
27. What does Jeremiah say of Jehoiachin? -- Jer. xxii 24 to 30.
28. Was he really childless?
29. What became of Jehoiachin?
30. What prophet was carried off in this captivity?
31. Who was the last King of Judah?
32. What message did Ezekiel send Zedekiah? -- Ez. xxii.25, 26, 27.
33. What was Ezekiel's lamentation for the sons of Josiah? -- Ez. xix. I-9.
34. What were Ezekiel's chief prophecies of the Redeemer? -- Ez. xxxiv.23, 24. -- xxxvii.24, 25, 26.
35. What was Zedekiah's duty?
36. How did he show his want of faith?
37. What was the consequence?
38. What was the prophecy of Ezekiel that Zedekiah thought impossible? -- Ez. xii.13.
39. What were the sufferings of Jeremiah in the siege of Jerusalem?
40. What prophecies of Moses had their first fulfilment in this siege? -- Deut. xxviii.52, 53.
41. Who boasted over Jerusalem?
42. What was the desolation of Jerusalem?
43. Which book in the Holy Scripture mourns over it? A. The book of Lamentations of Jeremiah.
44. What became of Jeremiah?
45. How did the remnant act who were left in Judea?
46. Who was the prophet who spoke against Edom? A. Obadiah.
47. What was the great prophecy of Jeremiah? -- Jer. xxiii.5, 6.
48. What was the year of the taking of Jerusalem?
1. Who were the Chaldeans?
2. What does Isaiah say of the origin of the Chaldeans? -- Is. xxiii.13.
3. Who was their chief god, and how was he worshipped?
4. Describe Babylon.
5. What were the prophecies of the state of the Jews in captivity? -- Lev. xxvi.33, 34. -- 38, 39. -- Jer. v.19.
6. What change for the better passed over the Jews?
7. Who were the royal children brought up as slaves?
8. How had their slavery been foretold? -- Is. xxxix.7.
9. What instance of self-denying faith was given by them?
10. How was Daniel's inspiration first made known?
11. What was the first dream of Nebuchadnezzar?
12. What was the interpretation?
13. What judgment is recorded of Daniel in the Apocrypha?
14. What proof did the other princes give of their faith?
15. What is the hymn of praise said to have been sung by them in the furnace?
16. What was the effect on Nebuchadnezzar?
17. Where had Edom's fell been foretold? A. Numb. xxiv.18-21, 22. -- Jer. xlix.7-22. -- Obadiah.
18. What other conquest did Nebuchadnezzar effect? 19. Where had the fall of Tyre been predicted? A. Is. xxiii. -- Ez. xxvi. xxvii. xxviii.
20. How soon was a new Tyre built?
21. What was to be the recompence for the toils of the siege of Tyre?
22. Where is the ruin of Egypt foretold? A. Is. xix.1 to 20. -- Jer. xliii.8 to 13. -- xlvi. -- Ez. xxx. xxxi. xxxii.
23. What was the end of the Pharaohs?
24. What was Nebuchadnezzar's second dream?
25. What was the meaning and the fulfilment?
26. What acknowledgment did Nebuchadnezzar make?
27. In what year did he die?
28. Who was his successor?
29. What was the first vision of Daniel?
30. What was the interpretation?
31. What was the second vision of Daniel?
32. What was the meaning?
33. How were the visions explained to Daniel?
1. What was the power which was to overcome the Assyrian?
2. How had the Persian power been figured in the visions? -- Dan. ii.32. -- vii.5. -- viii.3, 4.
3. What was the meaning of the two horns of the Ram?
4. What was the difference between the Medes and Persians?
5. What was the religion of the Persians?
6. What was the character of Cyrus?
7. Who was the reigning King of Babylon?
8. What was the trust of the Babylonians?
9. But what had been foretold concerning Cyrus? -- Is. xlv. I, 2, 3.
10. How did Cyrus attempt to gain an entrance?
11. How were the Babylonians prevented from being on the watch?
12. What awful warning interrupted Belshazzar's feast?
13. Who interrupted the writing?
14. How had Jeremiah foretold the taking of Babylon by the Medes? -- Jer. l.35 to li.
15. How long was the captivity to last? -- Jer. xxv.11. -- xxix.10.
16. What had been the promise of Moses? -- Lev. xxvi.44.
17. What had been the prayer of Solomon? -- 1 Kings, viii.46 to 50.
18. What had Isaiah said of Cyrus? -- Is. xliv.28. -- xlv.13.
19. Who made intercession for the fulfilment of these prophecies?
20. How was Daniel's prayer answered?
21. What great promise was made to Daniel? -- Dan. ix.24 to 27.
22. In what year was the decree for the restoration of Jerusalem given?
23. Who governed Babylon?
24. What was the proof of Daniel's faith?
25. What story is told of his destroying the worship of Bel?
26. How had Isaiah foretold this overthrow? -- Is. xlvi.1,2.
27. What was revealed to Daniel in his last vision?
28. What was Daniel called? A. The man greatly beloved.
1. How many Jews returned from the captivity?
2. Who were the leaders of the return?
3. Who was Zerubbabel?
4. Why is it supposed that his father was only the adopted son of Jehoiachin? A. Both because Jeremiah sentenced Coniah to be childless, and in Luke iii. Zerubbabel's descent is derived from David, through Nathan.
5. What story is told of Zerubbabel's gaining favour with Darius?
6. What title did Zerubbabel bear?
7. What was the only inheritance left for him?
8. What was the blessing of God to Zerubbabel for his faith? -- Hag. ii.21 to 23. -- Zech. iv, 6 to 10.
9. What were the prophetic blessings to Joshua the priest? -- Zech. vi.11-15. -- Hag. ii.4, 5.
10. Of what typical vision was Joshua the subject? -- Zech. iii.
11. What are Zechariah's other remarkable prophecies of Redemption? -- Zech. ix.9 to 12. -- xi.12, 13. -- xii.8-10. -- xiii.1, 6,
12. What was the condition of Jerusalem?
13. What was the promise of restoration? -- Zech. viii.3, 4, 5.
14. What was the first measure of Zerubbabel and Joshua?
15. Where had directions been given for the new Temple?
A. In the latter chapters of Ezekiel, but these were a further prophecy of the New Tabernacle in Heaven.
16. How soon was the Temple begun?
17. What were the feelings of the people?
18. What promise did Haggai give? -- Hag. ii.6, 7-9.
19. What rebuke did Haggai give the Jews?
20. What interference befell the Jews?
21. Why was all intercourse with the Samaritans forbidden?
22. How did the Samaritans revenge themselves?
23. What was the state of the Persian court?
24. What was the end of Cambyses?
25. What was the story of the impostor, Smerdis?
26. Who became King of Persia?
27. What history did Darius's governors send to him? -- Ezra, v.7, &c.
28. How were they answered? -- See Ezra, vi.
29. What revolt took place in the time of Darius?
30. What prophecies were here fulfilled? -- Ps. cxxxvii.8, 9. Is. xlvii.7, 8, 9.
31. What were Darius's two vain expeditions?
32. What was the great expedition of Xerxes?
33. How had it been predicted? -- Dan. xi.2.
1. Who is Ahasuerus supposed to have been?
2. What was his great act of tyranny?
3. By what means did he try to repair the loss of Vashti?
4. Of what race was Esther?
5. Why would not Mordecai bow down to Haman?
6. What benefit did Mordecai do the king?
7. How did Haman seek revenge for Mordecai's scorn?
8. How did Esther conduct her intercession?
9. What great deliverance was given to the Jews?
10. What fresh aid was given to the building at Jerusalem?
11. What was the date of Ezra's arrival?
12. What is counted from this date?
13. Who was the other assistant who arrived?
14. How had Nehemiah obtained leave to come and assist?
15. In what state did he find the city?
16. What prophecies were' there of her desolation? -- Ps. lxxx. Is. xxxii.13, 14.
17. What was Nehemiah's great work?
18. How were the Jews obliged to build?
19. How had this been foretold? -- Dan. ix.25.
20. What blessing had been laid up for Nehemiah? -- Is. lviii.12, 13.
21. What reformations did Ezra and Nehemiah bring about?
22. What became of the schismatical priest?
23. Where was the Samaritan temple?
24. Who was the last of the prophets?
25. What were his great predictions? -- Mal. iii. I, 2, 3.
-- iv.2, 5, 6.
26. What books are thought to have been compiled by Ezra?
27. What Psalms were collected by Ezra? -- From cvii. to the end.
28. What prophetic verse is ascribed to the time of Ezra? -- cxviii.22.
29. What were the songs of degrees? -- Ps. cxx. to cxxxiv.30. Who had the keeping of the Scriptures?
31. In what tongue were the early Scriptures?
32. What tongue was commonly spoken after the captivity?
33. What was therefore done when the Law was read?
34. What arrangement did Ezra make for public worship?
35. What was the synagogue service?
36. How were the Jews dispersed?
37. In what state was the Persian Empire?
1. Who were the Greeks?
2. Who was the chief Greek god?
3. What were the Greek philosophers trying to find out? -- See Acts, xvii.27, 28.
4. What were the Greek games? -- See I Cor. ix.24, &c.
5. Which were the two chief Greek cities?
6. What was the most learned of all cities?
7. Who subdued all the rest of Greece?
8. What was the name of the great King of Macedon?
9. How was Macedon figured in Daniel's visions? -- Dan. vii.6. -- viii.5, 6, 7.
10. What yet older prophecy was there of the Greek invasion? -- Num. xxiv.24.
11. What was Chittim?
12. In what year did Alexander enter Asia?
13. How was the swiftness of his conquests shown?
14. How did Darius go out to battle with him?
15. What cities did Alexander take in Palestine?
16. What was Zechariah's prophecy about Tyre? -- Zech. ix.2, 3, 4.
17. What was his prophecy about the Philistine cities? -- Zech. ix.5,
18. What about Jerusalem? -- Zech. ix.8.
19. How was Alexander received at Jerusalem?
20. What did he declare that he had seen?
21. What city did Alexander build in Egypt?
22. What became of Darius? 23. How far did Alexander spread his conquests?
24. What city did he wish to make his capital?
25. How did the Jews at Babylon show their constancy?
26. What befell Alexander at Babylon?
27. How had this been foreshown? -- Dan, viii.8. -- xi.3,4.
28. What was the year of Alexander's death?
29. What difference did his conquest make to the East?
30. What language was much learnt from his time?
31. What became of Babylon after his death?
32. How had the ruinous waste of Babylon been fore- told? -- Isaiah, xiii.19 to 22. -- Jer. li.43.
1. How was the division of Alexander's empire foreshown? -- Dan. vii.6. -- viii.8.
2. What were the four horns?
3. What was the Greek power in Nebuchadnezzar's dream?
4. Which of the Greek princes came in contact with Palestine?
5. What did the Angel call them in Dan. xi.?
6. What was the name of all the Greek kings of Egypt?
7. What were the names of the Greek kings of Syria?
8. To which of them did the Jews belong at first?
9. What colony did Ptolemy Lagus bring into Egypt?
10. What prophecy was thus fulfilled? -- Isaiah, xix.18.
11. How were the Jews treated?
12. Who was the high priest?
13. How is he spoken of in Ecclesiasticus? -- Ecclus. I.
14. What was Simon's work with regard to the Holy Scripture?
15. What translation was made in the time of Ptolemy Philadelphus?
16. What is the Greek translation called?
17. By how many persons was it made?
18. What marriage took place between the royal families of Egypt and Syria?
19. How had it been foretold? -- Dan. xi.6.
20. What revenge was taken for the murder of Berenice?
21. How was the expedition of Euergetes foretold? -- Dan. xi.7, 8.
22. How were the Jews becoming corrupted?
23. What had been the doctrine of Joseph?
24. What did Sadoc declare after him?
25. What were the disciples of Sadoc called?
26. What were the doctrines of the Sadducees?
27. What were those called who held aloof from them?
28. What kind of kings followed Ptolemy Euergetes?
29. What attempt was made by Ptolemy Philopator?
30. How was it frustrated?
31. What was the prophecy of Philopator's invasion? -- Dan. xi.10.
32. What cruelty was attempted by him on his return to Egypt?
33. How were the Jews saved?
34. To whom did Judea give itself up?
35. How was the treason of the Jews predicted? -- Dan, xi.14.
36. In what year did the Jews pass from the Egyptian to the Syrian power?
1. How was Antiochus's punishment of the traitors foretold? -- Dan. xi.14.
2. What were the conquests predicted in the 15th verse?
3. How did he treat Judea? -- verse 16th.
4. What alliance did he make?
5. What was the prophecy of this marriage? -- verse 17th.
6. What expedition was predicted in the 18th verse?
7. What checked him in this expedition?
8. What became of Antiochus the Great?
9. How was this predicted? -- verse 19.
10. Who were the Romans?
11. What were they in Nebuchadnezzar's dream? -- Dan. ii.33.
12. What were they in Daniel's vision? -- Dan, vii.7.
13. Why were they like iron?
14. To what were they most devoted?
15. What great Phoenician city had they conquered?
16. What yoke did the Romans impose on Syria?
17. What was the name of the successor of Antiochus?
18. How does Daniel describe him? -- Dan. xi.20.
19. What sacrilegious attempt was made in the time of Seleueus?
20. How was it punished?
21. What was the end of Seleueus?
22. Who succeeded him, and by what means?
23. How was the success of Antiochus Epiphanes foretold? -- Dan. si.21.
24. What was he in Daniel's vision? -- Dan. viii.9.
25. What was his character?
26. How was his preference of Roman to Greek gods foretold? -- Dan. xi.
27. What terrible apostasy took place among the Jews?
28. How had Zechariah predicted the fall of the Priests? Zech. xi.16.
29. What war was predicted in Daniel xi.?
30. What wickedness was being perpetrated at Jerusalem?
31. How had this sacrilege been foretold? -- verses 30, 31. -- viii.11, 12.
32. How had the martyrdoms been foretold? -- viii.10.
33. What Psalms are applicable to this persecution? -- lxxiv. -- lxxix. -- lxxx.
34. What were the most remarkable martyrdoms?
35. In what apocryphal book are they recorded?
36. What was the remarkable difference between these and Christian martyrs?
1. What deliverers were raised up for the Jews?
2. Why was the family of Mattathias called Asmonean?
3. How was Mattathias first roused to resistance?
4. What purification did Mattathias make?
5. What were the predictions of him and his sons? -- Dan. xi.32, 33.
6. Who succeeded Mattathias?
7. How arose the name of Maccabees?
8. What was the great work of Judaa Maccabaeus?
9. What was the end of Antiochus Epiphanes?
10. How had it been predicted? -- Dan. xi.44, 45.
11. What was the death of Eleazar?
12. How was the varying success of the Maccabees foretold? -- Dan. xi.
13. What was the death of the apostate Menelam?
14. How had Zechariah spoken of him? -- Zech, xi.17.
15. How had Zechariah foretold these wars? -- Zech, ix.13.
16. Who succeeded Maccabaeus?
17. With whom did Jonathan make a treaty?
18. What success did Jonathan gain?
19. What became of Jonathan?
20. Who succeeded him?
21. What work did Simon complete?
22. What was the end of Simon?
23. Who was the successor of Simon?
24. What conquest was made by John Hyrcanus?
25. What prophecies were fulfilled by the fall of Edom? -- Ps. cxxxvii.7. -- Is. xxxiv.6, to the end. -- Joel, iii.19.
26. What is the present state of Idumea?
1. Who was the first Asmonean King?
2. What prophecy thus had a fulfilment? A. Zech. vi.13; but this was only really accomplished in our Lord.
3. Who reigned after Aristobulus?
4. Who after Alexander Janneus?
5. What dispute broke out between the sons of Alexandra?
6. Who fostered the ill-will between the brothers?
7. To whose decision was the dispute referred?
8. What was it that made the Roman power so terrible?
9. How did the Romans extend their dominion?
10. What were the Roman triumphs?
11. How was the Roman army composed?
12. What was the Roman standard?
13. How did the Romans rule their conquered provinces?
14. Who alone could obtain law and justice?
15. Who had long ago described the Romans exactly?
16. What Roman general first invaded Palestine?
17. By what means did Pompey take Jerusalem?
18. What presumptuous act did Pompey commit?
19. What was the punishment of Pompey's sacrilege?
20. What became of Aristobulus?
21. How did Pompey arrange the affairs of the Jews?
22. What troubles did Pompey meet with at home?
23. Who gained the chief power at Rome?
24. What country had Julius Caesar invaded?
25. What arrangements did Caesar make in Palestine?
26. Who was Herod?
27. What became of Julius Caesar?
28. Who divided his power on his death?
29. How did Herod gain favour from Antony?
30. Who put an end to the reign of Hyrcanus?
31. What exploits were done by Herod?
32. How did Herod make himself King?
33. Who was Herod's wife?
34. Who was High Priest?
35. What crimes did Herod's jealousy of the royal line lead him to commit?
36. How were the High Priests appointed after the murder of Aristobulus?
37. How did Herod try to make up for his crimes?
38. Who had become Emperor of Rome?
39. What was the state of all the world?
40. What general expectation prevailed?
41. What had Augustus been told at a heathen temple?
42. What prophecy was fulfilled by Judea having an Edomite king? -- Gen. xlix.10.
43. How long was it since the walls of Jerusalem had been built?
1. In what year of the world did Augustus number his people?
2. What was the object of Augustus?
3. What was the real cause of this taxation?
4. What prophecies had foretold that the Messiah should be born of a woman? -- Gen. in.15. -- Is. vii.14. -- Jer. xxxi.22. -- Micah, v.3.
5. How was Bethlehem fixed for His birth-place? -- Micah, v.2.
6. How was His birth foretold? -- Is. ix.6.
7. What allusion was there to His being received into a stable and rejected by His townsmen? -- Is. i.3.
8. What were the rejoicings?
9. By what rite was He made obedient to the Law?
10. By whom had His Name been previously borne?
11. Who had prophesied of that Name? -- Jer. xxiii.6.
12. How was His presentation in the Temple foretold? -- Hag. ii.7 and 9.
13. How was Simeon's greeting of Him foretold? -- Is. xxv.9.
14. How had He been marked out to the eastern nations as a Star? -- Numb. xxiv.17.
15. What predictions were there of the coming and the gifts of the eastern sages? -- Ps. lxxii.10-15. -- Cant. iii.6. -- Is. lx.3.
16. How had the massacre of the holy Innocents been predicted? -- Jer. xxxi.15, 16, 17.
17. How had the flight and return from Egypt been foreshown? -- Hos. xi.1.
18. What was Herod's last crime?
19. What children did he leave?
20. Who first succeeded him?
21. Why was Archelaus deposed?
22. How was Palestine divided?
23. Who governed Judea?
24. What regulations for the Roman empire were made by Augustus?
25. What languages were everywhere spoken? 26. Who succeeded Augustus, and in what year?
27. What were the predictions of our Lord's childhood? -- Is. vii.15. -- liii.2.
28. How had David declared the wisdom He showed in the Temple? -- Ps. cxix.99, 100.
29. Mention the prophecies of His forerunner? -- Is. xl.3. -- Mal. iv.5, 6.
30. How had baptism with water been already employed?
31. How did our Lord sanctify baptism?
32. What had been the object of the Law which St. John brought to a point?
33. How did He show how the sins of which His disciples were sensible might be removed?
34. Who were the first disciples?
35. Whom did they acknowledge in our Lord? -- Deut. xviii.15.
36. How had the miracles been promised as marks of the Messiah? -- Is. xxxii.3, 4. -- xxxv.5, 6.
37. How had His gentleness been foretold? -- Is. xi.1 2, 3, 4. -- xlii. I, 2, 3. -- lxi. I, 2, 3.
38. How had the cleansing of the Temple been foretold? -- Ps. lxix.9. -- Mal. iii.1, 2, 3.
39. What was the martyrdom of St. John the Baptist?
40. What was it that prevented the Jews from recognizing the Messiah?
41. How had their rejection of Him been foretold? -- Ps. lxix, 7, 8. -- Is. liii. I, 2.
42. How had the triumphal entry into Jerusalem been predicted? -- Ps. viii.2. -- cxviii.26. -- Jer. xvii 25. -- Zech. ix.9.
43. How had the plots of the Pharisees been foretold? -- Ps. x.10, 11. -- xxxv. -- vii. -- lvi.5, 6.
44. Mention the prophecies of the treachery of Judas. -- Ps. xli.9. -- lv.12, 13, 14, 15.
45. How had the price been already made known, and likewise what became of it? -- Zech. xi.12, 13.
46. What was to be the end of the traitor? -- Ps. cix.7, 8, 9.
47. What blessed mystery was instituted on the night before the Passion? 48. How had the joining of different authorities been foreshown? -- Ps. ii.2.
49. How the testimony against Him? -- Ps. xxxv.11.
50. How the judgment? -- Is. liii.8.
51. How His silence before Pilate? -- Is. liii.7.
52. How the insults of the soldiery? -- Is.1.6.
53. How the scourging? -- -Ps. cxxix, 3. -- Is. liii.5.
54. How the disfigurement? -- Is. lii.14.
55. What was the accusation on which the Jews condemned Him?
56. What that on which Pilate condemned Him?
57. Why was crucifixion the manner of His death?
58. How had it been predicted? -- Ps. xxii.17. -- Is. xxv.11. -- Zech. xii.10. -- xiii.6.
59. How had the desertion of the disciples been foretold? -- Ps. lxxxviii. IS. -- Zech. xiii.7.
60. How the derision of the Jews? -- Ps. xxii.7, 8.
61. How the parting of the garments? -- Ps. xxii.18.
62. How the sponge of vinegar? -- Ps. lxix.22.
63. What had been the prediction of-the sense of desertion by God? -- Ps. xxii.1.
64. What of the dying among the wicked and the burial? -- Ps. lxxxviii.3, 4. -- Is. liii.9.
65. What of the Resurrection? -- Ps. xvi.11. -- Is. xxv.8.
66. What of the effect on us? -- Is. xxvi.19. -- Hos. xiii, 14.
67. What of the Ascension? -- Ps. lxviii.18.
1. What was fulfilled by the one great Sacrifice?
2. What were the ceremonies of the Law? -- Heb. x.1.
3. What was the difference between circumcision and baptism?
4. How had baptism been enjoined? -- Mark,xvi.16.
5. Where had its regenerating power been declared? -- John, iii.5.
6. How had the promise of being cleansed by His blood been held out in the Old Testament? -- Ps. li.2. -- Is. i.18. -- lii.15. -- Joel, iii.21. -- Zech. xiii.1.7. How were the faithful invited to constant partaking of pardoning grace? -- Ps. xxxvi.8, 9. -- Is. xii.3. -- xliv.22. -- lv.1. -- Ezek. xlvii.9. -- John, iv.14. -- vii.37. -- See Rev. xxii.17.
8. How had the Passover come to the true fulfilment? -- 1 Cor. v.7.
9. How had the deliverance of the redeemed been foretold? -- Is. xxxv.8, 9,10.
10. Which day of the week was to be kept in remembrance of their rescue?
11. How was the great Sacrifice to be partaken of?
12. How had it been instituted? -- Luke, xxii.19, 20.
13. Where had it been predicted? -- Prov. ix. I, 2, 5. -- Zech. ix.17.
14. How was the bringing near in prayer made known? Is. lxv.24. -- Mai. I.11. -- Matt. vi.9. -- xxi.22. -- Mark, xi.24. -- John, xvi.23, 24, 26, 27.
15. How had the day of Atonement come to fulfilment? -- Heb. ix.24. -- Rev. v.8.
16. How was our Lord revealed as a Shepherd? -- Gen. xlix.24. -- Ps. xxiii. -- Is. xl.11. -- Jer. xxxi.10. -- Ez. xxxlv.23. -- xxxvii.24. -- Zech. xiii.7. -- xi.7. -- Matt, xviii.12, &c. -- John, x. I, &c.
17. How is the Old Testament shown to be only explained in our Lord? -- Is. xxix.11, 12. -- Rev. v.1-5.
18. What were the believers in the new Covenant to be called?
19. What is the meaning of Church?
20. How many believers met at first?
21. Whom did they choose into the place of Judas?
22. How was he consecrated?
23. What gift was thus bestowed on him? -- John, xx.21, 22, 23.
24. What was the meaning of the name Apostles?
25. What was the second order of the ministry?
26. What festival was taking place?
27. What did the Feast of Weeks commemorate?
28. How was the great work completed?
29. What is the inward work of the Holy Spirit? 30. With what outward signs was His coming manifested?
31. What was the promise of His coming? -- Joel, ii.28, 29, -- -John, xvi.7.
32. What were the first-fruits of His coming?
33. What was the occasion of the appointment of the deacons?
34. Who was the first martyr?
35. What was the end of Pilate?
36. Who succeeded Tiberius?
37. What was the history of Herod Agrippa?
38. Who was the great Pharisee convert?
39. How was it made known that the Gospel might be preached to the Gentiles?
40. What had been the promise to Abraham's faith?
41. How had it been foretold that the Gentiles should come in? -- Ps. ii.8. -- xix.4. -- xviii.43, 44. -- xxii. -- lxviii.11. -- lxxii.17. -- xlix.6. -- Is. lii.7-10-15. -- liv.1.lvi.6, 7. -- lix.19. -- Matt. xxiv.14. -- Luke, i.79. -- John, x.16.
42. Who was the first Gentile convert?
43. Which Apostle was first martyred, and by whom?
44. What was the end of Herod Agrippa?
45. What were the different missions of the Apostles?
46. What is the tradition about the Creed?
47. What are the texts thought to be allusions to the Creed? -- Luke,i.4. -- 1 Tim. vi.20. -- 2 Tim. i.13.
48. Why was not the Creed commonly rehearsed?
49. Which was the first of the Gospels?
50. What was the difference between the treatment which the Apostles received from the Jews and Romans?
51. To whom did they always go first?
52. What advantages did they derive from the Roman power?
53 What was going on in Britain?
54. Who was Roman Emperor?
55. How had the persecutions been predicted? -- Matt. xxiv.9.
1. How had St. Paul first been converted?
2. How did he spend his time after his conversion?
3. How bad education fitted him to be an apostle to the Gentiles?
4. How was he introduced to the apostles?
5. What was his first mission?
6. What name was first given at Antioch?
7. How were SS. Paul and Barnabas first set apart?
8. What was their first journey?
9. Who was their companion?
10. What was the occasion of the first Council of the Church?
11. Why must the decisions of a truly general council be right? -- Matt, xviii.20.
12. What was the decision of the first Council? Antioch?
13. What question arose between SS. Paul and Peter at
14. How did St. Paul differ with St. Barnabas?
15. What was the further history of St. Barnabas?
16. Who were the companions of St. Paul's second journey?
17. How far did his second journey extend?
18. What argument did he hold at Athens?
19. Who were the Athenian philosophers?
20. What were written at Corinth?
21. Which Gospel is said to have been here written?
22. When did St. Paul's third journey begin?
23. What was his first station?
24. What was the cause of the tumult at Ephesus?
25. Which Epistles were written in his third journey?
26. How far did his third journey extend?
27. What caused his return to Jerusalem?
28. What were his troubles at Jerusalem?
29. How was he rescued from violence both of Jews and Romans?
30. Before what tribunals was he brought? 31. Why could he not be set at liberty?
32. What were the events of his voyage to Rome?
33. How did he live at Rome?
34. What are the Epistles of his captivity?
35. To what bishops did he write instructions?
36. What apostle ruled the Church at Rome?
37. What are the writings of St. Peter?
38. Which Gospel was superintended by St. Peter?
39. What became of St. James the Less?
40. Which was the first persecution?
41. Which is St. Paul's last Epistle?
42. How did St. Paul and St. Peter die?
43. How had the manner of St. Peter's death been foretold? -- John, xxi.18, 19.
44. What Church was founded by St. Mark?
45. What was the death of St. Mark?
1. How had the apostles been martyred?
2. What Church was left in Ethiopia?
3. What Church was left by St. Thomas?
4. Which apostles left writings?
5. Who alone survived to hear of the destruction of Jerusalem?
6. How had this been foretold? -- John, xxi.22.
7. How did the Jews bring punishment on themselves?
8. How did they misread the prophecies?
9. How had our Lord predicted their self-deception? -- Matt. xxiv.5-11.
10. What Roman was sent against them P
11. How was he called off?
12. What warning was thus given? -- Luke, xxi.20, 21.
13. How did the Christians profit by the warning?
14. How were our Lord's predictions of fearful sights and signs from Heaven fulfilled?
15. Why was the city more than usually filled?
16. Who was the Roman general?
17. In what year did Titus besiege Jerusalem? 18. How had the Jews called down vengeance on themselves?
19. How had our Lord mourned for them? -- Luke, xiii.34. -- xix, 41.
20. How had St. Paul mourned for them? -- Rom. ix.2,3.
21. How had the manner of the siege been predicted? -- Deut. xxviii.52.
22. How had the dreadful famine been foretold? -- Luke, xix.43.
23. What was the state of the city? -- Deut. xxviii.53-56. -- Lam. ii.20, 21.
24. How was the entrance effected into the Temple?
25. What had been the intention of Titus with regard to the Temple?
26. Why could not the Temple be saved?
27. What condition was the city found to be in?
28. What prophecy was fulfilled? -- Matt. xxiv.2.
29. What became of the treasures of the Temple?
30. What became of the Jews?
31. How had their dispersion been predicted? -- Deut. xxviii.64-68. -- Ps. lix.11.
32. How have they lived ever since?
33. What warning does St. Paul give the Gentiles? -- Rom. xi.18.
34. Why were the Jews so utterly rejected?
35. Who were accepted in their stead?
36. How had the acceptance of the sons of Japhet been foretold? -- Gen. ix.27.
1. What were the events of Domitian's persecution?
2. How was St. John a martyr in will?
3. What was revealed to St. John in a vision?
4. Where was the latter part of St. John's life spent?
5. What were the instances of St. John's love?
6. What are the writings of St. John?
7. In what year did he die?
8. What were the habits of the early Christians?
9. How did they meet for worship? 10. What was their practice on the Lord's Day?
11. How did they arrange themselves at their assemblies?
12. How did the heathen try to find out what they did?
13. Why did Trajan dislike them so much?
14. What had befallen the old Roman temper? -- Dan. ii.41.
15. Who was the great martyr of Trajan's persecution?
16. What is told us of St. Ignatius as a child?
17. What is a Father of the Church?
18. How was St. Ignatius put to death?
19. What did he say of himself?
20. Who was St. John's other pupil?
21. What had been said to St. Polycarp in the Revelation? -- Rev. ii.10.
22. In what persecution did St. Polycarp suffer?
23. What did he say of himself at the tribunal?
24. What was his last thanksgiving?
25. What was the manner of his death?
26. What was the story of the Thundering Legion?
1. How had our Lord forewarned His followers of their sufferings? -- Matt. x.16, 17. -- John, xvi.2.
2. How had they been told to meet their afflictions? -- Matt. v.12. -- 1 Peter, iii.14.
3. What had He said of confessing or denying Him? -- Matt. x.32, 33.
4. What had been promised through St. John to such as overcame? -- Rev. ii.17. -- iii.5 and 21.
5. How had the lot of the martyrs been shown to St. John? -- Rev. vii.14-17.
6. How many periods of persecution had been predicted? -- Rev. ii.10.
7. Name the ten chief persecutors.
8. How is Severus memorable in Britain?
9. Who were the martyrs of Carthage?
10. Who were the chief martyrs of the persecution of Valerian?
11. What were St. Lawrence's treasures? 12. Why did Sapricius fail?
13. What became of Valerian?
14. Whose was the fiercest persecution?
15. How did the Theban legion witness their confession?
16. In what manner were Christians brought to trial?
17. Mention some of the martyrs of the Diocletian persecution.
18. Who was the British martyr?
19. Who shielded the Britons?
20. How was the Empire divided?
21. What was the difference between a martyr and a confessor?
22. What was the remarkable end of Galerius?
1. Who was the first believing monarch?
2. How was Constantine converted?
3. Tell me a few of the promises that Gentile sovereigns should obey the Church? -- Ps. lxxii.11. -- Is. xlix.23. -- lx.4. -- lxvi.12. -- Rev. xi.15.
4. What was the date of Constantine's conversion?
5. What was Helena's expedition to Jerusalem?
6. How did she do honour to the holy places?
7. What did Jerusalem thenceforth become?
8. What prophecy thus had a partial and material fulfilment? -- Is lx.10. -- lxvi.20.
9. How did Constantine change the capital of his empire?
10. To whom was his chief church dedicated?
11. Who were the patriarchs of the Church?
12. What name was given to the patriarch of Rome?
13. What were those called who retired from the world?
14. What is a heresy?
15. How had our Lord foretold that heresies would arise? -- Matt. xviii.7.
16. What warnings had He given against them? -- Matt. vii.15.
17. What warning had the apostles given? -- Acts, xx.29, 30. -- 1 Tim. iv.1. -- Titus, iii.10. -- 2 Peter, ii.1, 2.18. What had St. John given as the test of the truth? -- 1 John, iv.15.
19. What was the heresy of Arius?
20. What council was held against it?
21. Who was the great champion of the truth?
22. What creed was drawn up at Nicea?
23. How many bishops signed the Nicene Creed?
24. How was Arius punished?
25. Into what error did Constantine fall?
26. How was the Church spared from communion with Arius?
27. In obedience to what commands were obstinate sinners cut off from the Church? -- Matt. xviii.17.1 Cor. v.4, 5. -- Titus, iii.10, 11.
28. When was Constantine baptized?
29. How was the Church tried under Constantius?
30. How was it tried under Julian?
31. What profane attempt did Julian make?
32. How was it frustrated?
33. What is the meaning of Catholic?
34. What great confession of Catholic truth was drawn up at this time?
1. Who were the two brothers who reigned together?
2. What evil habit prevailed in their days?
3. What was the great work of St. Jerome?
4. Into what tongue did he translate the Bible?
5. What was the bishopric of St. Ambrose?
6. How was he chosen?
7. How did St. Ambrose resist the Empress Justina?
8. Why did he hold out against her?
9. Who was the Catholic Emperor?
10. What fresh heresy had arisen?
11. What fresh confession of faith was made at the Council of Constantinople?
12. What was the sedition of Antioch?
13. Who preached repentance at Antioch?
14. How were the men of Antioch relieved? 15. What offence was given at Thessalonica?
16. How did Theodosius punish the murder?
17. How was he brought to a sense of his cruelty?
18. How did he humiliate himself?
19. What prophecy was literally accomplished in his reign? -- Is. lx.14.
20. How soon did St. Ambrose reconcile Theodosius to the Church?
21. What Father of the Church was converted at this time?
22. What writings did St. Augustine leave?
23. What hymns are ascribed to St. Ambrose?
24. Who finished the conversion of the Gauls?
25. How was St. Chrysostom promoted?
26. How was he persecuted?
27. What prayer is known by his name?
1. How had the Roman power decayed?
2. Of what were the feet of Nebuchadnezzar's statue made?
3. What nations had attacked the Romans?
4. What was the faith of the Teutons?
5. Under what form did they first learn Christianity?
6. Who ruled the Roman empire?
7. What portion first was lost to Rome?
8. Who conquered Britain?
9. How was Ireland converted?
10. What prophecies were there that these distant places should be won to the faith? -- Is. xlix.1. -- lxvi.19.
11. What great act of self-sacrifice marked the last Triumph?
12. Who conquered Rome?
13. How did Alaric treat Rome?
14. Who was the first Christian King of France?
15. How was Spain brought to the Catholic faith?
16. What led to the conversion of the English?
17. Who was the first missionary to the Saxons?
18. Who sent St. Augustin? 19. Who was the first Christian Saxon King?
20. What devotions were arranged by St. Gregory?
21. What did he do for Church music?
22. What was the work of St. Benedict?
23. What were the habits of the monks and nuns?
1. What evils prevailed in the East?
2. What heresies were there taught?
3. What threat had been made in the Revelation? -- Rev. ii.5.
4. What alarm befell the East?
5. How was the true Cross recovered?
6. What false religion sprang up?
7. Who was Mahomet?
8. What was his false prophecy called?
9. What were the requirements and promises of the Koran?
10. In what year was the flight of Mahomet?
11. How did he spread his religion?
12. Where did he die?
13. How do the Mahometans honour Mecca?
14. What was the chief Arabian tribe called?
15. How did they treat Jerusalem?
16. What did they build there?
17. What did they do with the library at Alexandria?
18. How far did they extend their conquests?
19. Where were they brought to a stop?
20. Who turned them back?
21. Are there any sayings in the New Testament that can be applied to such a falling away as the Mahometan heresy? -- 2 Tim. iii.13. -- Rev. ix.2 to 11. (supposed.)
1. What was the danger of the Western Church?
2. Why were the people so ignorant?
3. What respect did they pay to religion?
4. What errors began to prevail?
5. What Greek emperor tried to prevent image worship?
6. What different decisions were arrived at in the east and west?
7. Who was the great western emperor?
8. What power did Charles le Magne give the Pope?
9. What miseries came upon the west?
10. Who was the great and good English King?
11. How were the Northmen converted?
12. What harm did Charles le Magne's grant do at Rome?
13. What difference of opinion was there between east and west?
14. Why did the Greeks object to the new words in the Creed of Constantinople?
15. What claim had the Popes set up?
16. Who resisted their claim?
17. How was the rent made between the Greek and Latin Churches?
18. In what year did the schism begin?
19. How is the Church still one inwardly?
20. What rule did the Roman Church make about the clergy?
21. What error did she make in the celebration of the Holy Communion?
1. How many horns had sprung up in Daniel's vision of the Roman power?
2. What do these horns signify?
3. How had our Lord shown how Christianity should work through the nations? -- Matt. xiii.33.
4. But how had Solomon shown that too few would really honour the Lord? -- Eccles. iv, 15, 16.
5. In what were the people too prone to trust?
6. Why was it wrong to trust in the intercessions of the Blessed Virgin? -- 1 Tim. ii.5.
7. Who had the chief power in the Western Churches? 8. What was the old way of choosing a bishop?
9. How did the Romans prove that they could not be trusted with the choice?
10. Who took the choice of the Pope for a time?
11. Who took the choice of the Pope from the German Emperor?
12. How has the Pope been ever since elected?
13. In what manner did the western Church regard the Pope?
14. What rule did the Pope bear?
15. How did he punish disobedience?
16. How was the power of the Popes misused?
17. What saints lived about that time?
18. What good works were done?
19. What were built at this time?
20. Why are churches turned to the east?
21. Why does the font stand near the entrance?
22. Why are the people allowed to come into the chancel, not kept out like the Israelites?
23. What prophecy is fulfilled by constant services? -- Ps. lxxii.15. -- Is. lx.11.
24. What is partly fulfilled by the peace impressed around the Church, even upon fierce warriors? -- Is. xi.6-9.
25. What vows were knights made to take?
26. What wars were preached in the Middle Ages?
27. What reward did the Pope hold out?
28. What was meant by purgatory?
29. What was meant by an indulgence?
30. What success did the crusaders meet with?
31. How long was Jerusalem in the hands of the Christians?
32. How was the schism increased between the Greek and Roman Churches?
33. Who were the chief crusaders?
34. Why could not the Holy Land be kept?
35. What race of Mahometans came from the east?
36. What country did the Turks conquer?
37. What prophecy was fulfilled at Tyre? -- Ezek. xxvi.14.
38. What country was won back by the Christiana?
1. How had the Services of the Church come to be in an unknown tongue?
2. What deceit was practised upon the people?
3. How were those who found fault punished?
4. How was it that there was less ignorance than formerly?
5. Who began to preach against indulgences?
6. What translation did Luther make?
7. How did England separate from the Pope?
8. What became of the English monasteries?
9. Why did the Italian clergy hinder inquiry?
10. What were Luther's party called, and why?
11. Who was the Swiss reformer?
12. Who tried to obtain a General Council?
13. Where was the meeting held?
14. Why was it not a true Council?
15. How was the English Church purified?
16. In what reign was the Prayer Book translated?
17. After what pattern were the Services moulded?
18. What danger did the English Church undergo?
19. Who were the martyrs of the English Reformation?
20. How did it again become prosperous?
21. How did the Council of Trent end?
22. What decision did the foreign Reformers come to as to their Bishops?
23. How did the Roman Catholics treat them?
24. What Churches have Bishops?
25. How are such Churches still one?
26. What countries are Roman Catholic?
27. Which are Lutheran?
28. Which are Calvinist?
29. Which are Greek Catholic?
1. Who discovered America?
2. Who were the first inhabitants of America?
3. Why did the Pope think he had a right over them? 4. To whom did he give them?
5. How did the Spaniards use the Indians?
6. Who tried to prevent their cruelty?
7. What people were brought to the West Indies to work for the colonists?
8. What prophecy was thus fulfilled? -- Gen. ix.27.
9. What work did the Jesuits do in South America?
10. What harm did the Jesuits do at home?
11. What bad spirit rose up in Europe?
12. What prophecies were there that the Church should stretch out far? -- Isaiah, liv.2, 3.
13. Which part of America was settled by the Spaniards?
14. Which by the English and Dutch?
15. Who caused our present translation of the Bible to be made?
16. What did Charles I. try to do for Scotland?
17. How was he treated in England?
18. How was the Church persecuted?
19. How did St. Paul speak of such times? -- 2 Tim. iv.3
20. How long did these evil times last?
21. How was the Church in England restored?
22. Why are Calvinists called Presbyterians?
23. What evils were prevailing in the colonies?
24. How were they neglected?
25. What was the great sin of France?
26. What was the consequence of French unbelief?
1. What schism arose in England?
2. How has St. Paul warned us against separations? -- Romans, xvi.17.
3. Why is it dangerous to follow any unordained minister? -- St. John, x. I.
4. How has our Lord taught us to cling to His Church? -- St. John, xv.4.
5. How can we be sure that ours is a true branch of the Church? -- A. Because our Bishops come straight from the Apostles, and our faith and our Sacraments are the same as theirs, and agree with Holy Scripture.