Jump to: Smith's • ISBE • Easton's • Webster's • Concordance • Thesaurus • Greek • Hebrew • Library • Subtopics • Terms
Smith's Bible DictionaryBush
The Hebrew word seneh occurs only in those passages which refer to Jehovah's appearance to Moses "in the flame of fire in the bush." (Exodus 3:2,3,4; 33:16) It is quite impossible to say what kind of thorn bush is intended; but it was probably the acacia a small variety of the shittim tree found in the Sinai region.
International Standard Bible EncyclopediaBUSH
(1) (ceneh, Exodus 3:2-4 Deuteronomy 33:16; batos, Mark 12:26 Luke 6:44, "bramble bush"; 20:37; Acts 7:30, 35. All the Old Testament references and the New Testament references, except Luke 6:44, are to the same "bush," namely, Moses' "burning bush"). From its etymology ceneh clearly denotes a "thorny" plant, as does the corresponding batos in the Septuagint and New Testament. In the Latin versions rubus, i.e. "bramble," is used as equivalent. Several varieties of bramble flourish in Palestine, of which the most common is Rubus discolor, but this is not an indigenous plant in Sinai. It is stated by Post that a bush of this plant has been planted by the monks of the Convent of Catherine at Sinai to the rear of the "Chapel of the Burning Bush." In spite of tradition there is but little doubt that Moses' "burning bush" must actually have been a shrub of one of the various thorny acacias, or allied plants, indigenous in the Sinaitic peninsula.
Easton's Bible DictionaryIn which Jehovah appeared to Moses in the wilderness (Exodus 3:2; Acts 7:30). It is difficult to say what particular kind of plant or bush is here meant. Probably it was the mimosa or acacia. The words "in the bush" in Mark 12:26; Luke 20:37, mean "in the passage or paragraph on the bush;" i.e., in Exodus 3.
Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary1. (n.) A thicket, or place abounding in trees or shrubs; a wild forest.
2. (n.) A shrub; esp., a shrub with branches rising from or near the root; a thick shrub or a cluster of shrubs.
3. (n.) A shrub cut off, or a shrublike branch of a tree; as, bushes to support pea vines.
4. (n.) A shrub or branch, properly, a branch of ivy (as sacred to Bacchus), hung out at vintners' doors, or as a tavern sign; hence, a tavern sign, and symbolically, the tavern itself.
5. (n.) The tail, or brush, of a fox.
6. (v. i.) To branch thickly in the manner of a bush.
7. (v. t.) To set bushes for; to support with bushes; as, to bush peas.
8. (v. t.) To use a bush harrow on (land), for covering seeds sown; to harrow with a bush; as, to bush a piece of land; to bush seeds into the ground.
9. (n.) A lining for a hole to make it smaller; a thimble or ring of metal or wood inserted in a plate or other part of machinery to receive the wear of a pivot or arbor.
10. (n.) A piece of copper, screwed into a gun, through which the vent hole is bored.
Greek942. batos -- a bramble bush
... a bramble bush. Part of Speech: Noun, Feminine; Noun, Masculine Transliteration:
batos Phonetic Spelling: (bat'-os) Short Definition: a thorn bush or bramble ...
//strongsnumbers.com/greek2/942.htm - 6k
173. akantha -- a prickly plant, thorn
Strong's Hebrew5572. seneh -- perhaps blackberry bush
... << 5571, 5572. seneh. 5573 >>. perhaps blackberry bush. Transliteration: seneh
Phonetic Spelling: (sen-eh') Short Definition: bush. Word ...
/hebrew/5572.htm - 5k
5285. naatsuts -- a thorn bush
6176. aroer -- (probably a tree or bush) perhaps juniper
7880. siach -- a bush, shrub, plant
5097. nahalol -- a pasture
2336. choach -- briar, bramble, hook, ring, fetter
The Bramble-Bush King
The Appearance in the Bush.
The Bush that Burned, and did not Burn Out
Concerning the Burning Bush and the Rod of Moses.
The Voice from the Bush
Opinions of the Jews with Regard to Him who Appeared in the Bush.
1879-1880. Experiences among Indians --Picnic in the Bush ...
He it is who Spake with Moses in the Bush...
That Christ is the Bridegroom, Having the Church as his Bride ...
The Story of a Mother
ThesaurusBush (14 Occurrences)
... 30). It is difficult to say what particular kind of plant or bush is here
meant. ... 6. (vi) To branch thickly in the manner of a bush. 7 ...
/b/bush.htm - 19k
Broom-bush (2 Occurrences)
Thorn-bush (5 Occurrences)
Flames (54 Occurrences)
Burning (415 Occurrences)
Burn (206 Occurrences)
Blazing (27 Occurrences)
Consumed (213 Occurrences)
Appeareth (31 Occurrences)
Bushel (6 Occurrences)
Bible ConcordanceBush (14 Occurrences)
Mark 12:26 But about the dead, that they are raised; haven't you read in the book of Moses, about the Bush, how God spoke to him, saying,'I am the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob'? (WEB KJV WEY ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Luke 6:44 For each tree is known by its own fruit. For people don't gather figs from thorns, nor do they gather grapes from a bramble bush. (WEB KJV ASV WBS NAS RSV NIV)
Luke 20:37 But that the dead are raised, even Moses showed at the bush, when he called the Lord'The God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob.' (WEB KJV WEY ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Acts 7:30 "When forty years were fulfilled, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in the wilderness of Mount Sinai, in a flame of fire in a bush. (WEB KJV WEY ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Acts 7:35 "This Moses, whom they refused, saying,'Who made you a ruler and a judge?'-God has sent him as both a ruler and a deliverer by the hand of the angel who appeared to him in the bush. (WEB KJV WEY ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Exodus 3:2 The angel of Yahweh appeared to him in a flame of fire out of the midst of a bush. He looked, and behold, the bush burned with fire, and the bush was not consumed. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Exodus 3:3 Moses said, "I will turn aside now, and see this great sight, why the bush is not burnt." (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Exodus 3:4 When Yahweh saw that he turned aside to see, God called to him out of the midst of the bush, and said, "Moses! Moses!" He said, "Here I am." (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Deuteronomy 33:16 for the precious things of the earth and its fullness, the good will of him who lived in the bush. Let the blessing come on the head of Joseph, On the crown of the head of him who was separate from his brothers. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
2 Kings 14:9 And Jehoash king of Israel sent to Amaziah king of Judah, saying, The thorn-bush that is in Lebanon sent to the cedar that is in Lebanon, saying, Give thy daughter to my son as wife; and there passed by the wild beast that is in Lebanon, and trode down the thorn-bush. (DBY NAS)
2 Chronicles 25:18 And Joash king of Israel sent to Amaziah king of Judah, saying, The thorn-bush that is in Lebanon sent to the cedar that is in Lebanon, saying, Give thy daughter to my son as wife; and there passed by the wild beast that is in Lebanon, and trode down the thorn-bush. (DBY NAS)
Isaiah 55:13 In place of the thorn will come up the fir-tree, and in place of the blackberry the myrtle: and it will be to the Lord for a name, for an eternal sign which will not be cut off. (See NAS NIV)
Jeremiah 17:6 For he shall be like the heath in the desert, and shall not see when good comes, but shall inhabit the parched places in the wilderness, a salt land and not inhabited. (See NAS NIV)
Jeremiah 48:6 Flee, save your lives, and be like the heath in the wilderness. (See NIV)