In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.
1. What a strange opening to a book! Without observation, parade, flourish.
2. Strange that there is no argument on the being of God. The Architect is simply named in the description of the building. A portrait in oil suggests a painter.
3. There is a gradual unveiling of God as you proceed with the book. God reveals Himself to us by slow processes.
I. What was BEFORE the beginning?
1. God in underived and perfect existence.
2. God dwelling in the silence and grandeur of His own eternity.
II. What was IN the beginning?
1. When was the beginning? Date not fixed here. We only know the fact, that there was a beginning.
2. What occurred in the beginning? The material universe began to be.
III. What FOLLOWED the beginning?
1. From a beginning we know not what may come.
2. The beginning contains what follows.
(J. S. Withington.)
Parallel VersesKJV: In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.