In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.
I. THE WHOLE TRINITY, each in His separate office, though all in unity, addressed themselves to the work of creation.
1. The Holy Spirit brooded over the watery chaos.
2. The Son, the Lord Jesus Christ, was that power, or "Arm of the Lord," by which the whole work was executed. "In the beginning was the Word."
3. The Father's mind willed all, planned all, and did all.
II. God created ONLY "the heaven and the earth." He provided a heaven, but He did not provide a hell. That was provided, not for our world at all, but for the devil and his angels.
III. If we ask WHY God created this universe of ours, three purposes suggest themselves.
1. It was the expression and out-going of His wisdom, power, and love.
2. It was for the sake of His noblest work, His creature, man.
3. The heaven and the earth were meant to be the scene of the exhibition of His own dear Son. Remember, that marvellously grand as it was, that first creation was only a type and earnest of a better.
(J. Vaughan, M. A.)
Parallel VersesKJV: In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.