And Isaac departed there, and pitched his tent in the valley of Gerar, and dwelled there.…
1. Wicked servants prosecute the quarrel of wicked masters against the Church.
2. Persecuting enemies, if in their power, would not spare a little water to the saints.
3. The wicked double their strife to destroy the life of the saints.
4. Saints give way to the malice of adversaries, but leave a brand of their hateful carriages (ver. 21) in what they yield to them. Sitnah.
5. All the envy and malice of the wicked will stand up as a monument against them, when God shall call them to account (ver. 21).
(G. Hughes, B. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And Isaac departed thence, and pitched his tent in the valley of Gerar, and dwelt there.