By this therefore shall the iniquity of Jacob be purged; and this is all the fruit to take away his sin…
If you would subdue your iniquity and mortify your sin —
1. Get mortifying apprehensions of it.
2. Get mortifying resolutions. Get your hearts resolved against sin; to prosecute it to the death; to engage all the strength you have, and can procure, in such a prosecution of it; resolve not to spare it; not to forbear it in the least; not to tolerate it, nor suffer it to have any quiet abode in any part of heart or life; not to enter into a parley or treaty with it; not to yield to any cessation, much less to make any peace with it, no more than the Israelites with those whom the Lord had devoted to destruction.
3. Get mortifying affections — affections which carry the heart from sin, or set it against it.
4. Get mortifying graces, three especially, love to God, faith in Him, and fear of Him.
5. Use mortifying means, those which the Lord has appointed for this end.
Parallel VersesKJV: By this therefore shall the iniquity of Jacob be purged; and this is all the fruit to take away his sin; when he maketh all the stones of the altar as chalkstones that are beaten in sunder, the groves and images shall not stand up.
WEB: Therefore, by this the iniquity of Jacob will be forgiven, and this is all the fruit of taking away his sin: that he makes all the stones of the altar as chalk stones that are beaten in pieces, so that the Asherim and the incense altars shall rise no more.