and lo, there was a woman having a spirit of infirmity eighteen years, and she was bowed together, and not able to bend back at all,
Luke 13:11 Additional TranslationsClarke's Commentary on the Bible
A woman which had a spirit of infirmity - Relative to this subject three things may be considered: -
I. The woman's infirmity.
II. Her cure. And
III. The conduct of the ruler of the synagogue on the occasion.
I. The woman's infirmity.
1. What was its origin? Sin. Had this never entered into the world, there had not been either pain, distortion, or death.
2. Who was the agent in it? Satan; Luke 13:16. God has often permitted demons to act on and in the bodies of men and women; and it is not improbable that the principal part of unaccountable and inexplicable disorders still come from the same source.
3. What was the nature of this infirmity? She was bowed together, bent down to the earth, a situation equally painful and humiliating; the violence of which she could not support, and the shame of which she could not conceal.
4. What was the duration of this infirmity? Eighteen years. A long time to be under the constant and peculiar influence of the devil.
What was the effect of this infirmity? The woman was so bowed together that she could in no case stand straight, or look toward heaven.
II. The woman's cure.
1. Jesus saw her, Luke 13:12. Notwithstanding her infirmity was great, painful, and shameful, she took care to attend the synagogue. While she hoped for help from God, she saw it was her duty to wait in the appointed way, in order to receive it. Jesus saw her distress, and the desire she had both to worship her Maker and to get her health restored, and his eye affected his heart.
2. He called her to him. Her heart and her distress spoke loudly, though her lips were silent; and, as she was thus calling for help, Jesus calls her to himself that she may receive help.
3. Jesus laid his hands on her. The hand of his holiness terrifies, and the hand of his power expels, the demon. Ordinances, however excellent, will be of no avail to a sinner, unless he apprehend Christ in them.
Treasury of Scripture Knowledge
Luke 13:16 And ought not this woman, being a daughter of Abraham, whom Satan has bound, see, these eighteen years...
Luke 8:2 And certain women, which had been healed of evil spirits and infirmities, Mary called Magdalene, out of whom went seven devils,
Job 2:7 So went Satan forth from the presence of the LORD, and smote Job with sore boils from the sole of his foot to his crown.
Psalm 6:2 Have mercy on me, O LORD; for I am weak: O LORD, heal me; for my bones are vexed.
Matthew 9:32,33 As they went out, behold, they brought to him a dumb man possessed with a devil...
Luke 8:27,43 And when he went forth to land, there met him out of the city a certain man, which had devils long time, and ware no clothes...
Mark 9:21 And he asked his father, How long is it ago since this came to him? And he said, Of a child.
John 5:5,6 And a certain man was there, which had an infirmity thirty and eight years...
John 9:19-21 And they asked them, saying, Is this your son, who you say was born blind? how then does he now see...
Acts 3:2 And a certain man lame from his mother's womb was carried, whom they laid daily at the gate of the temple which is called Beautiful...
Acts 4:22 For the man was above forty years old, on whom this miracle of healing was showed.
Acts 14:8-10 And there sat a certain man at Lystra, weak in his feet, being a cripple from his mother's womb, who never had walked...
Psalm 38:6 I am troubled; I am bowed down greatly; I go mourning all the day long.
Psalm 42:5 Why are you cast down, O my soul? and why are you disquieted in me? hope you in God...
Psalm 145:14 The LORD upholds all that fall, and raises up all those that be bowed down.
Psalm 146:8 The LORD opens the eyes of the blind: the LORD raises them that are bowed down: the LORD loves the righteous:
Luke 13:11 Parallel CommentariesAble Bend Bent Bowed Caused Confirmed Disease Double Eighteen Full Fully Head Height Herself Infirmity Invalid Lift Present Raise Sickness Spirit Straight Straighten Together Unable Way Wholly WiseAble Bend Bent Bowed Caused Confirmed Disease Double Eighteen Full Fully Head Height Herself Infirmity Invalid Lift Present Raise Sickness Spirit Straight Straighten Together Unable Way Wholly WiseTHE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica®.
Luke 13:11 Mobile Bible
Luke 13:11 Bible Suite
Luke 13:11 Biblia Paralela
Luke 13:11 Chinese Bible