And the people have come up out of the Jordan on the tenth of the first month, and encamp in Gilgal, in the extremity east of Jericho;
Joshua 4:19 Additional TranslationsClarke's Commentary on the Bible
On the tenth day of the first month - As the Israelites left Egypt on the fifteenth day of the first month, A.M. 2513, (see Exodus 14:1-31), and they entered into Canaan the tenth of the first month, A.M. 2553, it is evident that forty years, wanting five days, had elapsed from the time of their exodus from Egypt to their entrance into the promised inheritance.
Encamped in Gilgal - That is, in the place that was afterwards called Gilgal, see Joshua 5:9; for here the name is given it by anticipation. In Hebrew, גל gal signifies to roll; and the doubling of the root, גלגל galgal or gilgal, signifies rolling round and round, or rolling off or away, because, in circumcising the children that had been born in the wilderness, Joshua rolled away, rolled off completely, the reproach of the people. From this time Gilgal became a place of considerable eminence in the sacred history.
1. It was the place where the Israelitish camp rested the first night of their entering into that land which had been promised to their fathers from the days of Abraham.
2. It was the place in which Joshua circumcised all the people who had been born in the wilderness, during the forty years of their wandering, after they left Egypt.
3. It was the place in which Joshua had what we might term his fortified camp, and to which he and his army constantly returned after each of their expeditions against the inhabitants of the land.
4. It appears to have been the place where all the women, children, cattle, and goods, etc., were lodged, probably during the whole of the Canaanitish war.
5. It was the place where they celebrated the first passover they kept in the promised land.
6. It was the place where Saul, the first king of Israel, was proclaimed.
7. There the manna ceased to fall. And,
8. There the ark was fixed till, after the conquest of the country, it was removed to Shiloh. Gilgal was about ten furlongs from Jericho, and fifty from Jordan: Jericho being on the west, and Jordan on the east, Gilgal being between both. See Josephus, De Bello, etc., lib. v., c. 4, and Calmet on this place. Calmet supposes there was neither city nor town here before the arrival of the Israelites.
Treasury of Scripture Knowledge
Exodus 12:2,3 This month shall be to you the beginning of months: it shall be the first month of the year to you...
Gilgal That is, the place afterwards called Gilgal; for it is so called here by anticipation. It was about ten furlongs east from Jericho, and fifty west from the Jordan. See Josephus and Calmet.
Joshua 5:9 And the LORD said to Joshua, This day have I rolled away the reproach of Egypt from off you...
Joshua 10:6,43 And the men of Gibeon sent to Joshua to the camp to Gilgal, saying, Slack not your hand from your servants; come up to us quickly...
Joshua 15:7 And the border went up toward Debir from the valley of Achor, and so northward, looking toward Gilgal...
1 Samuel 11:14,15 Then said Samuel to the people, Come, and let us go to Gilgal, and renew the kingdom there...
1 Samuel 15:33 And Samuel said, As the sword has made women childless, so shall your mother be childless among women...
Amos 4:4 Come to Bethel, and transgress; at Gilgal multiply transgression; and bring your sacrifices every morning...
Amos 5:5 But seek not Bethel, nor enter into Gilgal, and pass not to Beersheba: for Gilgal shall surely go into captivity...
Micah 6:5 O my people, remember now what Balak king of Moab consulted, and what Balaam the son of Beor answered him from Shittim to Gilgal...
Joshua 4:19 Parallel CommentariesBorder Camped East Eastern Edge Encamp Encamped Extremity Jericho Jordan Month Side Tenth TentsBorder Camped East Eastern Edge Encamp Encamped Extremity Jericho Jordan Month Side Tenth TentsTHE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica®.
Joshua 4:19 Mobile Bible
Joshua 4:19 Bible Suite
Joshua 4:19 Biblia Paralela
Joshua 4:19 Chinese Bible