and all the earth hath come to Egypt, to buy, unto Joseph, for the famine was severe in all the earth.
Genesis 41:57 Additional TranslationsClarke's Commentary on the Bible
All countries came into Egypt - to buy - As there had not been a sufficiency of rains, vapours, etc., to swell the Nile, to effect a proper inundation in Egypt, the same cause would produce drought, and consequently scarcity, in all the neighboring countries; and this may be all that is intended in the text.
1. As the providence of God evidently led the butler and baker of Pharaoh, as well as the king himself, to dream the prophetic dreams mentioned in this and the preceding chapter, so his Spirit in Joseph led to the true interpretation of them. What a proof do all these things give us of a providence that is so general as to extend its influence to every part, and so particular as to notice, influence, and direct the most minute circumstances! Surely God "has way every where, and all things serve his will."
2. Dreams have been on one hand superstitiously regarded, and on the other skeptically disregarded. That some are prophetic there can be no doubt; that others are idle none can hesitate to believe. Dreams may be divided into the six following kinds:
1. Those which are the mere nightly result of the mind's reflections and perplexities during the business of the day.
2. Those which spring from a diseased state of the body, occasioning startings, terrors, etc.
3. Those which spring from an impure state of the heart, mental repetitions of those acts or images of illicit pleasure, riot, and excess, which form the business of a profligate life.
4. Those which proceed from a diseased mind, occupied with schemes of pride, ambition, grandeur, etc. These, as forming the characteristic conduct of the life, are repeatedly reacted in the deep watches of the night, and strongly agitate the soul with illusive enjoyments and disappointments.
5. Those which come immediately from Satan, which instill thoughts and principles opposed to truth and righteousness, leaving strong impressions on the mind suited to its natural bent and turn, which, in the course of the day, by favoring circumstances, may be called into action.
6. Those which come from God, and which necessarily lead to him, whether prophetic of future good or evil, or impressing holy purposes and heavenly resolutions. Whatever leads away from God, truth, and righteousness, must be from the source of evil; whatever leads to obedience to God, and to acts of benevolence to man, must be from the source of goodness and truth. Reader, there is often as much superstition in disregarding as in attending to dreams; and he who fears God will escape it in both.
Treasury of Scripture Knowledge
Genesis 42:1,5 Now when Jacob saw that there was corn in Egypt, Jacob said to his sons, Why do you look one on another...
Genesis 50:20 But as for you, you thought evil against me; but God meant it to good, to bring to pass, as it is this day, to save much people alive.
Deuteronomy 9:28 Lest the land from where you brought us out say, Because the LORD was not able to bring them into the land which he promised them...
Psalm 105:16,17 Moreover he called for a famine on the land: he broke the whole staff of bread...
in all lands.
Genesis 41:54,56 And the seven years of dearth began to come, according as Joseph had said: and the dearth was in all lands...
Genesis 41:57 Parallel CommentariesBuy Corn Countries Distressing Earth Egypt Famine Grain Great Grievous Joseph Lands Moreover Need Severe Sore Whole WorldBuy Corn Countries Distressing Earth Egypt Famine Grain Great Grievous Joseph Lands Moreover Need Severe Sore Whole WorldTHE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica®.
Genesis 41:57 Mobile Bible
Genesis 41:57 Bible Suite
Genesis 41:57 Biblia Paralela
Genesis 41:57 Chinese Bible