and if ye are of Christ then of Abraham ye are seed, and according to promise -- heirs.
Galatians 3:29 Additional TranslationsClarke's Commentary on the Bible
And if ye be Christ's - Or, as several good MSS. read, If ye be one in Christ. If ye have all received justification through his blood, and the mind that was in him, then are ye Abraham's seed; ye are that real, spiritual posterity of Abraham, that other seed, to whom the promises were made; and then heirs, according to that promise, being fitted for the rest that remains for the people of God, that heavenly inheritance which was typified by the earthly Canaan, even to the Jews.
1. The Galatians, it appears, had begun well, and for a time run well, but they permitted Satan to hinder, and they stopped short of the prize. Let us beware of those teachers who would draw us away from trusting in Christ crucified. By listening to such the Galatians lost their religion.
2. The temptation that leads us astray may be as sudden as it is successful. We may lose in one moment the fruit of a whole life! How frequently is this the case, and how few lay it to heart! A man may fall by the means of his understanding, as well as by means of his passions.
3. How strange is it that there should be found any backslider! that one who once felt the power of Christ should ever turn aside! But it is still stranger that any one who has felt it, and given in his life and conversation full proof that he has felt it, should not only let it slip, but at last deny that he ever had it, and even ridicule a work of grace in the heart! Such instances have appeared among men.
4. The Jewish covenant, the sign of which was circumcision, is annulled, though the people with whom it was made are still preserved, and they preserve the rite or sign. Why then should the covenant be annulled? This question admits a twofold answer.
1. This covenant was designed to last only for a time, and when that time came, having waxed old, it vanished away.
2. It was long before that void, through want of the performance of the conditions.
The covenant did not state merely, ye shall be circumcised, and observe all the rites and ceremonies of the law; but, ye shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind, and strength, and your neighbor as yourself. This condition, which was the very soul of the covenant, was universally broken by that people. Need they wonder, therefore, that God has cast then off? Jesus alone can restore them, and him they continue to reject. To us the new covenant says the same things: Ye shall love the Lord, etc.; if we do not so, we also shall be cut off. Take heed, lest he who did not spare the natural branches, spare not thee; therefore, make a profitable use of the goodness and severity of God.
Treasury of Scripture Knowledge
Galatians 5:24 And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.
1 Corinthians 3:23 And you are Christ's; and Christ is God's.
1 Corinthians 15:23 But every man in his own order: Christ the first fruits; afterward they that are Christ's at his coming.
2 Corinthians 10:7 Do you look on things after the outward appearance? If any man trust to himself that he is Christ's, let him of himself think this again...
Galatians 3:7,16,28 Know you therefore that they which are of faith, the same are the children of Abraham...
Galatians 4:22-31 For it is written, that Abraham had two sons, the one by a female slave, the other by a free woman...
Genesis 21:10-12 Why she said to Abraham, Cast out this female slave and her son: for the son of this female slave shall not be heir with my son...
Romans 4:12,16-21 And the father of circumcision to them who are not of the circumcision only...
Romans 9:7,8 Neither, because they are the seed of Abraham, are they all children: but, In Isaac shall your seed be called...
Hebrews 11:18 Of whom it was said, That in Isaac shall your seed be called:
Galatians 4:7,28 Why you are no more a servant, but a son; and if a son, then an heir of God through Christ...
Romans 4:13,14 For the promise, that he should be the heir of the world, was not to Abraham, or to his seed, through the law...
Romans 8:17 And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him...
1 Corinthians 3:22 Whether Paul, or Apollos, or Cephas, or the world, or life, or death, or things present, or things to come; all are yours;
Ephesians 3:6 That the Gentiles should be fellow heirs, and of the same body, and partakers of his promise in Christ by the gospel:
Titus 3:7 That being justified by his grace, we should be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life.
Hebrews 1:14 Are they not all ministering spirits, sent forth to minister for them who shall be heirs of salvation?
Hebrews 6:17 Wherein God, willing more abundantly to show to the heirs of promise the immutability of his counsel, confirmed it by an oath:
Hebrews 11:7 By faith Noah, being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear, prepared an ark to the saving of his house...
James 2:5 Listen, my beloved brothers, Has not God chosen the poor of this world rich in faith...
Revelation 21:7 He that overcomes shall inherit all things; and I will be his God, and he shall be my son.
Galatians 3:29 Parallel CommentariesAbraham Abraham's Belong Christ Christ's Descendants Fulfilment God's Heirs Heritage Indeed Offspring Promise Right Seed True. UndertakingAbraham Abraham's Belong Christ Christ's Descendants Fulfilment God's Heirs Heritage Indeed Offspring Promise Right Seed True. UndertakingTHE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica®.
Galatians 3:29 Mobile Bible
Galatians 3:29 Bible Suite
Galatians 3:29 Biblia Paralela
Galatians 3:29 Chinese Bible