'Three times thou dost keep a feast to Me in a year;
Exodus 23:14 Additional TranslationsClarke's Commentary on the Bible
Three times thou shalt keep a feast unto me in the year - The three feasts here referred to were,
1. The feast of the Passover;
2. The feast of Pentecost;
3. The feast of Tabernacles.
1. The feast of the Passover was celebrated to keep in remembrance the wonderful deliverance of the Hebrews from Egypt.
2. The feast of Pentecost, called also the feast of harvest and the feast of weeks, Exodus 34:22, was celebrated fifty days after the Passover to commemorate the giving of the law on Mount Sinai, which took place fifty days after, and hence called by the Greeks Pentecost.
3. The feast of Tabernacles, called also the feast of the ingathering, was celebrated about the 15th of the month Tisri to commemorate the Israelites' dwelling in tents for forty years, during their stay in the wilderness. See on Leviticus 23 (note).
"God, out of his great wisdom," says Calmet, "appointed several festivals among the Jews for many reasons:
1. To perpetuate the memory of those great events, and the wonders he had wrought for the people; for example, the Sabbath brought to remembrance the creation of the world; the Passover, the departure out of Egypt; the Pentecost, the giving of the law; the feast of Tabernacles, the sojourning of their fathers in the wilderness, etc.
2. To keep them faithful to their religion by appropriate ceremonies, and the splendor of Divine service.
3. To procure them lawful pleasures, and necessary rest.
4. To give them instruction; for in their religious assemblies the law of God was always read and explained.
5. To consolidate their social union, by renewing the acquaintance of their tribes and families; for on these occasions they come together from different parts of the land to the holy city."
Besides the feasts mentioned above, the Jews had,
Treasury of Scripture Knowledge
Exodus 34:22 And you shall observe the feast of weeks, of the first fruits of wheat harvest, and the feast of ingathering at the year's end.
Leviticus 23:5,16,34 In the fourteenth day of the first month at even is the LORD's passover...
Deuteronomy 16:16 Three times in a year shall all your males appear before the LORD your God in the place which he shall choose...
Exodus 23:14 Parallel CommentariesCelebrate Feast Festival Observe Three Thrice TimesCelebrate Feast Festival Observe Three Thrice TimesTHE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica®.
Exodus 23:14 Mobile Bible
Exodus 23:14 Bible Suite
Exodus 23:14 Biblia Paralela
Exodus 23:14 Chinese Bible