who, having ceased to feel, themselves did give up to the lasciviousness, for the working of all uncleanness in greediness;
Ephesians 4:19 Additional TranslationsClarke's Commentary on the Bible
5. Who being past feeling - Οιτινες απηλγηκοτες. The verb απαλγειν signifies,
1. To throw off all sense of shame, and to be utterly devoid of pain, for committing unrighteous acts.
2. To be desperate, having neither hope nor desire of reformation; in a word, to be without remorse, and to be utterly regardless of conduct, character, or final blessedness.
Instead of απηλγηκοτες, several excellent MSS. and versions have απηλπικοτες, being without hope; that is, persons who, from their manner of life in this world, could not possibly hope for blessedness in the world to come, and who might feel it their interest to deny the resurrection of the body, and even the immortality of the soul.
6. Have given themselves over unto lasciviousness - Lasciviousness, ασελγεια, is here personified; and the Gentiles in question are represented as having delivered themselves over to her jurisdiction. This is a trite picture of the Gentile world: uncleanness, lechery, and debauchery of every kind, flourished among them without limit or restraint. Almost all their gods and goddesses were of this character.
7. To work all uncleanness with greediness - This is a complete finish of the most abandoned character; to do an unclean act is bad, to labor in it is worse, to labor in all uncleanness is worse still; but to do all this in every case to the utmost extent, εν πλεονεξια, with a desire exceeding time, place, opportunity, and strength, is worst of all, and leaves nothing more profligate or more abandoned to be described or imagined; just as Ovid paints the drunken Silenus, whose wantonness survives his strength and keeps alive his desires, though old age has destroyed the power of gratification: -
Te quoque, inextinctae Silene libidinis, urunt:
Nequitia est, quae te non sinit esse senem.
Fast., lib. i. v. 413.
Thee also, O Silenus, of inextinguishable lust,
they inflame; Thou art old in every thing except in lust.
Such was the state of the Gentiles before they were blessed with the light of the Gospel; and such is the state of those nations who have not yet received the Gospel; and such is the state of multitudes of those in Christian countries who refuse to receive the Gospel, endeavor to decry it, and to take refuge in the falsities of infidelity against the testimony of eternal truth.
Treasury of Scripture Knowledge
1 Timothy 4:2 Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron;
Ephesians 4:17 This I say therefore, and testify in the Lord, that you from now on walk not as other Gentiles walk, in the vanity of their mind,
Romans 1:24-26 Why God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonor their own bodies between themselves...
1 Peter 4:3 For the time past of our life may suffice us to have worked the will of the Gentiles, when we walked in lasciviousness, lusts...
Job 15:16 How much more abominable and filthy is man, which drinks iniquity like water?
Isaiah 56:11 Yes, they are greedy dogs which can never have enough, and they are shepherds that cannot understand: they all look to their own way...
2 Peter 2:12-14,22 But these, as natural brute beasts, made to be taken and destroyed, speak evil of the things that they understand not...
Jude 1:11 Woe to them! for they have gone in the way of Cain, and ran greedily after the error of Balaam for reward...
Revelation 17:1-6 And there came one of the seven angels which had the seven vials, and talked with me, saying to me, Come here...
Revelation 18:3 For all nations have drunk of the wine of the wrath of her fornication, and the kings of the earth have committed fornication with her...
Ephesians 4:19 Parallel CommentariesAbandoned Callous Cast Ceased Desire Evil Feel Feeling Greedily Greediness Greedy Impurity Indulging Kind Lust Overmuch Passions Past Practice Profligacy Sensuality Themselves Unclean Uncleanness Work WorkingAbandoned Callous Cast Ceased Desire Evil Feel Feeling Greedily Greediness Greedy Impurity Indulging Kind Lust Overmuch Passions Past Practice Profligacy Sensuality Themselves Unclean Uncleanness Work WorkingTHE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica®.
Ephesians 4:19 Mobile Bible
Ephesians 4:19 Bible Suite
Ephesians 4:19 Biblia Paralela
Ephesians 4:19 Chinese Bible