And doors have been shut in the street. When the noise of the grinding is low, And one riseth at the voice of the bird, And all daughters of song are bowed down.
Ecclesiastes 12:4 Additional TranslationsClarke's Commentary on the Bible
And the doors shall be shut in the streets -
5. The doors - the lips, which are the doors by which the mouth is closed.
6. Be shut in the streets - The cavities of the cheeks and jaws, through which the food may be said to travel before it is fitted by mastication or chewing to go down the aesophagus into the stomach. The doors or lips are shut to hinder the food in chewing from dropping out; as the teeth, which prevented that before, are now lost.
7. The sound of the grinding is low - Little noise is now made in eating, because the teeth are either lost, or become so infirm as not to nsuffer their being pressed close together; and the mouth being kept shut to hinder the food from dropping out, the sound in eating is scarcely heard. The teeth are divided into three kinds: -
1. The dentes incisores, or cutting teeth, in the front of the jaw.
2. The dentes canini, or dog teeth, those in the sides of the jaws, for gnawing, or tearing and separating hard or tough substances. And,
3. Dentes molares, or grinding teeth, the posterior or double teeth, in both jaws, generally termed the grinders; because their office is to grind down the substances that have been cut by the fore teeth, separated into their parts or fibres by the dog teeth, and thus prepare it for digestion in the stomach.
8. He shall rise up at the voice of the bird - His sleep is not sound as it used to be; he slumbers rather than sleeps; and the crowing of the cock awakes him. And so much difficulty does he find to respire while in bed, that he is glad of the dawn to rise up and get some relief. The chirping ot the sparrow is sufficient to awake him.
9. All the daughters of music shall be brought low - The Voice, that wonderful instrument, almost endless in the strength and variety of its tones, becomes feeble and squeaking, and merriment and pleasure are no more. The tones emitted are all of the querulous or mournful kind.
Treasury of Scripture Knowledge
2 Samuel 19:35 I am this day fourscore years old: and can I discern between good and evil? can your servant taste what I eat or what I drink?...
Ecclesiastes 12:4 Parallel CommentariesArise Bird Birds Bowed Closed Crushing Daughters Doors Fades Grinding Grow Low Mill Music Musick Noise Rise Rises Riseth Shut Sing Soft Softly Song Songs Sound Start Street Streets VoiceArise Bird Birds Bowed Closed Crushing Daughters Doors Fades Grinding Grow Low Mill Music Musick Noise Rise Rises Riseth Shut Sing Soft Softly Song Songs Sound Start Street Streets VoiceTHE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica®.
Ecclesiastes 12:4 Mobile Bible
Ecclesiastes 12:4 Bible Suite
Ecclesiastes 12:4 Biblia Paralela
Ecclesiastes 12:4 Chinese Bible