'And now, command, and they cut down for me cedars out of Lebanon, and my servants are with thy servants, and the hire of thy servants I give to thee according to all that thou sayest, for thou hast known that there is not among us a man acquainted with cutting wood, like the Sidonians.'
1 Kings 5:6 Additional TranslationsClarke's Commentary on the Bible
Any that can skill to hew timber - An obsolete and barbarous expression for any that know how to cut timber. They had neither sawyers, carpenters, joiners, nor builders among them, equal to the Sidonians. Sidon was a part of the territories of Hiram, and its inhabitants appear to have been the most expert workmen. It requires more skill to fell and prepare timber than is generally supposed. Vitruvius gives some rules relative to this, lib. ii., cap. 9, the sum of which is this:
1. Trees should be felled in autumn, or in the winter, and in the wane of the moon; for in this season the trees recover their vigor and solidity, which was dispersed among their leaves, and exhausted by their fruit, in spring and summer; they will then be free from a certain moisture, very apt to engender worms and rot them, which in autumn and winter is consumed and dried up.
2. Trees should not be cut down at once; they should be cut carefully round towards the pith, that the sap may drop down and distil away, and thus left till thoroughly dry, and then cut down entirely.
3. When fully dried, a tree should not be exposed to the south sun, high winds, and rain; and should be smeared over with cow-dung to prevent its splitting.
4. It should never be drawn through the dew, but be removed in the afternoon.
5. It is not fit for floors, doors, or windows, till it has been felled three years. Perhaps these directions attended to, would prevent the dry rot. And we see from them that there is considerable skill required to hew timber, and in this the Sidonians excelled. We do every thing in a hurry, and our building is good for nothing.
Treasury of Scripture Knowledge
1 Kings 6:9,10,16,20 So he built the house, and finished it; and covered the house with beams and boards of cedar...
2 Chronicles 2:8,10 Send me also cedar trees, fir trees, and algum trees, out of Lebanon: for I know that your servants can skill to cut timber in Lebanon...
Psalm 29:5 The voice of the LORD breaks the cedars; yes, the LORD breaks the cedars of Lebanon.
I will give hire
Romans 12:17 Recompense to no man evil for evil. Provide things honest in the sight of all men.
Philippians 4:8 Finally, brothers, whatever things are true, whatever things are honest, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure...
appoint [heb] say
that there is not
1 Corinthians 12:14-21 For the body is not one member, but many...
Ephesians 4:7 But to every one of us is given grace according to the measure of the gift of Christ.
Genesis 10:15 And Canaan begat Sidon his first born, and Heth,
Ezra 3:7 They gave money also to the masons, and to the carpenters; and meat, and drink, and oil, to them of Zidon, and to them of Tyre...
1 Kings 5:6 Parallel CommentariesAppoint Cedar Cedars Cedar-Trees Command Cut Hew Hewing Hire Lebanon Servants Sidonians Skill Skilled Timber TreesAppoint Cedar Cedars Cedar-Trees Command Cut Hew Hewing Hire Lebanon Servants Sidonians Skill Skilled Timber TreesTHE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica®.
1 Kings 5:6 Mobile Bible
1 Kings 5:6 Bible Suite
1 Kings 5:6 Biblia Paralela
1 Kings 5:6 Chinese Bible